Computer won't turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
I have this computer that I'm working on and it won't turn on. I swapped out the PSU and still no luck. I inspected the mobo and saw no blown out capacitors or burns or anything that would suggest a power surge or fried mobo. I have even tried jumping the switch by touching both pins on the mobo together. All I get is a little twitch of the fans starting to spin for a split second and then they quit. It acts as if the mobo is being grounded out, but I suspended the mobo away from the case and it's still doing it. Is the mobo bad or what?

Edit: The motherboard is an Epox EP-8K9A1. AMD Socket A (462).

if you have replaced the PSU it sounds like the mobo you dont have to see signs of damage for it to be bad :) little bit of ESD will do the trick.

jcortes said:
if you have replaced the PSU it sounds like the mobo you dont have to see signs of damage for it to be bad :) little bit of ESD will do the trick.
So you think ESD is most likely what cause it to quit? The people that own it said it worked fine until one day it just quit working.

I don't have a Socket A mobo laying around or anything, so I will have to order them a new one. I hope that's the problem, if not, I hope Newegg will let me send it back or something.

this is normally PSU but if you're using a known good one then logically it must be the mobo :) i've seen these symptoms from a bad mobo.

ya im thinking ESD see if they had recently touched it or worked in the computer before it began to stop working.

So, if I order a new mobo and it doesn't fix the problem for some reason, will Newegg take it back and give me a refund?

I got the mobo replaced today and it does run.

Problem is, the original PSU did not work. The power switch is shorted out and turns the computer on as soon as power is plugged in and then shuts it off 5 seconds later. So, I jump the switch and just connect the two terminals to turn the power on and it does run and stays running. One of the case fans does not work and the CPU fan does not work.

My guess is that it got hit by lightning or had a power surge or something. I don't know why else the original PSU, switch, and two fans would be out as well. What do you guys think?

if you got hit by lightning it could cause serious damage to the system and potentially destroy all the hardware in your system. did you sustain a direct hit where the lightning struck and then all the power went out even to your pc?

jcortes said:
if you got hit by lightning it could cause serious damage to the system and potentially destroy all the hardware in your system. did you sustain a direct hit where the lightning struck and then all the power went out even to your pc?
I have no idea. This is not my computer. I'm working on it for someone I know.

I plugged it into the monitor and sure enough the video card is cooked. I tried another video card and it worked. The CD drive, floppy drive, and hard drive are all working. When it booted, it got as far as the option to start in Safe Mode or Start Windows Normally selection because it was improperly shut down before. This means that the RAM and CPU are good. After that, it tries to boot the OS and just blue screens really quick and reboots (probably because the new motherboard.)

I think a new powersupply would be the next step. pick one up that you can return easy or if you have an extra laying around and put it in see if that helps. bad powersupply can cause phantom errors. are these phantom errors or are the error codes the same? if they are the same see if you can boot and run memtest86+ and test the ram and if you are unable to do that or the new powersupply doesnt work then i say motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom