Computer won't stop freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuaveDoesTheUSA

Solid State Member
Hello again guys! About 2 years ago I put together a computer. Some people from this forum helped me pick out parts and find good deals. awesome! The only problem is that it freezes ALOT (as in 3-4 times a day). I play alot of games, particularly World of Warcraft. I think it might be heat related as the videocard gets pretty hot. I currently run it with the back removed and facing my window. Its winter so I figured heat wouldn't be a problem anymore. It still does it, even when I turn the graphic settings in WoW all the way down. Do you guys have any ideas what might be causing it? Any help would be appreciated. THanks!

MY specs:
CPU: AMD Athalon 64 3200+ 2.01 GHz
Ram: 1 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT

And if that doesnt work and you haven't reinstalled Windows since you built it would make it run like new. That is if your hardware is alright. Which you would know if you did a reinstall and it still did it. But first try to put new thermal paste on your CPU.

Try different versions of the drivers for your hardware. Maybe you need an older or a newer driver to be more compatible. You may have gotten some updates that just don't work well with your system. When did you first start having the problem? If you can get it down to a time window, see what updates were installed during that time and consider removing them. We have a PC at work that was freezing for no reason, turned out to be the mouse. Got a new one and poof, problem solved. Computers are weird.

The problem has been occuring from day 1. I cleaned the dust out and it still does it. Where can I buy new thermal paste and how do I reapply it? I'll try a reinstall of windows to see if that solves the problem. When I was playing FEAR it would happen ALOT (as in within 15 mins) more when I had the graphics turned all the way up, which makes me think its a heat issue. Someone suggested it may even be a power issue. I have a 450 W power supply though. I'll try reinstalling windows later today to see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom