Computer Wont Start Up, Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubnotub1

Beta member
Hey guys, new to the forums, looking for advice on a friends computer. First a little background. My friend had one of his friends build this computer about 2 years ago. The Specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3400 (754 Socket)
Abit KV8 Max-8 Mobo
PNY Geforce 6800 GT
1 Gig Kingston Value Ram (512*2)
Hitachi SATA HDD (120g)
Thermaltake Silent Power PSU (480)

Anyhow, whenever playing GPU/CPU intensive games such as Doom3, HL2, his computer screen would artifact, then BSOD (cant read the BSOD message because of the artifacts, but they ONE time i did see it happen it appeared to be the "Your computer has shut down to protect components" Message. Anyhow, along with this problem, his computer will no longer finish posting. The LED indicator stops at a 9.0, which the ABIT WP says has to do with an overclocked CPU, they suggest resetting the CMOS and booting again. I Have done this multiple times, and still nothing. Here are the other steps I have done trying to isolate the problem.

Switch out Mobos
Switch out RAM
Switch out GPU
Have tried booting bare bones, still nothing.

When switching the CPU from the Mobo's I noticed ALOT of thermal grease on the CPU. As such, my theory is that the CPU was overheating and shutting itself down due to an excessive amount of thermal grease. Indicators?

CPU dies during heavy CPU usage, but is ok when just surfing the web and such.
Error code of 9.0 (overclocking error code, CPU cant start at all since its fried, thus the 9.0 error code)

Is there any other possible reason as to why the computer wont start up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom