Computer wont start, is it a crash? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Exclamation Computer wont start, is it a crash?

So i get home from school today when my laptop greets me with a message looping:

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exciting PXE ROM'

I try going into safe mode, no success.
I tried switching the boot order like Hard Drive, Network Adapter,ATAPI CD-ROM Drive, Floppy Diskette Drive( i don't even have a floppy slot), but no success.
I even dusted out my computer tightening everything and nothing.

I then tried to use my computer disks to boot my computer, but when i tried it says "NO HARD DRIVE FOUND, PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE" basically calling me a faggot. Now Im not great with this stuff but I'm not terrible either so im not sure if what i said made to much sense. I looked through a bunch of forums about this but non really helped me. I think that i may have fried my hard drive cause i leave my laptop on a ALOT but usually it turnes screen off and all that good stuff. My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv5000. I would appreciate it if i could get some help, my warranty expired like 2 months ago and i would rather see if i could get help before getting fire dog, or geek squad on this. thanks for the help.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Computer wont start, is it a crash?

Seen this tons of times on stuff I've tried...couple of things you can try (which usually work):

1) Disable Boot from LAN in the BIOS. should be under the Boot options
2) after that's disabled, and if it still does it, reseat your HDD.
3) if it still does it...I'm afraid you may have to send it back into HP, or try a new HDD. I had one come in to where I work one time, and I tried the above things, and neither worked, so we ended up having to send it into an HP repair shop, and I believe all they did was replace the drive, if I'm not mistaken. I'd send it in just to be sure though, if its still under warranty that is.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 01-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Computer wont start, is it a crash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Seen this tons of times on stuff I've tried...couple of things you can try (which usually work):

1) Disable Boot from LAN in the BIOS. should be under the Boot options
2) after that's disabled, and if it still does it, reseat your HDD.
3) if it still does it...I'm afraid you may have to send it back into HP, or try a new HDD. I had one come in to where I work one time, and I tried the above things, and neither worked, so we ended up having to send it into an HP repair shop, and I believe all they did was replace the drive, if I'm not mistaken. I'd send it in just to be sure though, if its still under warranty that is.
Yeah, i tried that and nothing happened, the message might as well just say "No matter how hard you try, you cant fix me....***"
Closed Thread