Computer won't start after power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevCor632

Baseband Member
Yesterday there was a power outage for maybe an hour or so. After that, my parents' computer wouldn't turn on. Absolutely nothing would happen if you pressed the power button. It's a Dell Dimension 4600. I tried plugging the power cord into different outlets on the wall and such, but to no avail. I took the cover off, and when it's plugged in the little lights on the motherboard are on, so it must be getting some power, right? Is it possible that the power outage fried the power supply?

Anybody else had any problems after power outages? This is a tad urgent.

Thanks (in advance) for the help!

It's possible, but unlikely that your motherboard got fried. Notice I say unlikely because I believe you mentioned the light being on. My suggestion is that you unplug and cut off all sources of power for about an hour or so, and then plug everything back in, and see what you get. Also, check to make sure no wires are disconnected from the power thing (sorry i cant remember the name :( *so ashamed*). It should have the most wires coming out of it. Also! It could be that your hard drive is fried! For some reason something happened similar to me. For some reason the computer went crazy and mobo wouldnt detect the cd drive or hd, turns out there was a power surge or something happened because the yellow wire was loose.

I tried leaving it unplugged, but it still won't work. I think I'm going to put in another power supply (my friend has a bunch lying around) and see if that fixes it. If it does, I'll just buy a new PSU.

Well yes, your hardrive is a big magnet... but even with no hardrive the computer will still turn on and give a nice beep.
But are your fans turning on?

My guess would be that the Power Supply took a major hit after that power outage. The damage didn't happen when the power went out, it happened when the power went back on. Surge Protectors are helpful in that type of situation. They can minimize the amount of amperage that is dumped back into the PSU when the power returns.

Even a damaged PSU can provide a small amount of voltage to power the Motherboard light. But not nearly enough to start the boot process and power all components.

I bet if you swap out your power supply with a new one, you're problem will be solved.

There is really only one company that you can get a PSU for a Dell 4600. www.pcpowerandcooling.com

thanks guys. No, the fans aren't turning on. Absolutely nothing happens. And the weird thing is, we DO have a surge protector.

Hello. I'm a newbie here on these forums and I surfed in after that one "7800 doesn't work" thread was sent to me..wow...

Anyway, your problem may not be a fried mobo or power supply; just try resetting the BIOS on your motherboard. Look up your computer's model on google and find out if it is possible to reset the BIOS. One time my sister accidentally stepped on the on/off switch on the powerstrip my computer was connected to and my computer went blank + did not turn on. After resetting the BIOS, bingo. This was also the case when there was a power outage not too long ago.

try superr's idea even though this isn't my experience, i sure as hell can't say he's wrong and its worth a try too. unfortunately i think your psu is more likely than not, toast. i think its a good idea to use surge protected powerboards rather than just rely on the ones installed with your mains power. the only reason i say that is the name brand boards offer quite hefty insurance against their product so if somehow the same thing happens again you have someone to call.

Are you sure it was an outage, it might have been a power surge. Those things fry computers like Hot olive oil fries battered whitefish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom