Computer won't recognize new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

timboW

Solid State Member
I was hoping someone could help me with a hard drive issue IÂ’m having on my computer.

I recently purchased a 200GB Maxtor ATA HD to supplement the 80GB SATA HD IÂ’ve had on board my computer since I put it together a couple of years ago. I followed the directions when I installed it, but as far as my computer is concerned the unit doesnÂ’t exist. The instructions told me to use the disk provided to make the installation, but when I called up the program it only recognized the 80GB HD already present. I then tried using windowsÂ’ own hardware installation utility to see if it would do the job, but again the 200GB wasnÂ’t recognized.

Is there a conflict between the present HD being SATA, while the other is an ATA unit connected directly to the Mobo with the ATA connector cable?

I also set up the 200 GB HD as a slave unit, as I basically want to use it for storage purposes, and I wondered if that may be where the problem emanates from.

I tried going into BIOS in accordance with the instructions, but again I could find nothing to make the computer recognize that a new unit had been installed. The instructions say to highlight the ‘auto-detect’ feature and press enter, but I couldn’t find anything in BIOS that matched up to this.

I havenÂ’t tinkered around with the RAID settings by the way, if that helps.

Sorry to sound such a dunce, but if someone could point the way out of this mess for me IÂ’d certainly appreciate it.

Thanks in advanceÂ…Â…Â…Tim

ASUS P4P800-E deluxe Mobo
Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prestcott
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu
Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200 SATA 150
Radeon 9600 126MB DDR AGP
Kingston DDR 400 SDRAM (1GB)
Creative sound blaster 128 PCI
Optorite DVD burner
Thermaltake Purepower W0009R ATX 420 Watt
Maxtor Ultra 200GB 7200 ATA 133

There should be no problem having both sata and pata hard drives.

You probably just set the jumpers wrong.

If you just have one drive on the ide cable then you have to set it to master.

If you have two drives on the cable than one must be set to master while the other is set to slave.

If i were you I would set both of them as Master Hard drives, I know it sounds dumb but then the BIOS will be like... OMG ERRORZ then you can chose which hard drive to boot from, you boot from your primary and by then Windows should recognize it, if Not run the Device Manager to see maybe if it's lurking somewhere.

backwards and forwards!

Hi again,
Well, IÂ’ve been backwards and forwards with this problem, thought IÂ’d solved it, and am now more or less back to square one!

I discovered what my initial problem was this morning. Having made the recommended adjustment to the unit to switch it back to the ‘master’ setting I found that it still didn’t work, and I began to suspect that I may have done something wrong when I plugged it in. Sure enough when I checked I discovered I’d plugged the HD into the RAID connecter on the board instead of the spare IDE insert (I was lying under my desk in semi dark with a small flashlight in my mouth when I plugged it in initially!) and once I’d moved the cable over everything came good, more or less. The system finally recognized the HD, I was able to install it, but then ran into the problem that the size of the HD (200GB) caused the operating system to have a fit.

IÂ’d been led to believe that with SP1 on board I wouldnÂ’t have a problem, but try as might all I could do was make the system accept the max. partition of 137GB, regardless of a few different things I tried.

I finally took the option of ducking out to buy an Ultra ATA/133 IDE RAID controller card to put in my system, but despite all my efforts over three hours IÂ’ve been unable to convince the system to acknowledge the HDÂ’s existence, even though IÂ’ve successfully loaded in the appropriate drivers that came with the card.

I don’t know if it’s the cause of the problem, or a symptom of it, but one thing I have noticed is that the device manager shows a question mark next to ‘Raid controller’ with a message that states ‘the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)’.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advanceÂ…Â…Â…..Tim

ASUS P4P800-E deluxe Mobo
Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prestcott
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu
Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200 SATA 150
Radeon 9600 126MB DDR AGP
Kingston DDR 400 SDRAM (1GB)
Creative sound blaster 128 PCI
Optorite DVD burner
Thermaltake Purepower W0009R ATX 420 Watt
Maxtor Ultra 200GB 7200 ATA 133