Computer won't power up - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2008, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Unhappy Computer won't power up

Hi Everybody,

I've been having a weird problem lately where it would randomly just not turn on when I hit the power button and the front light on the case would just flash. Here's all the parts:
-MSI K8N Neo4-F
-AMD Athlon 64 3700+
-Antec Truepower II 550w PSU

All that happens when i hit the power button is sometimes it does nothing, and others the front LEDs just blink slowly. I thought the blinking led's might be a diagnostic from the motherboard but i couldn't find anything about it in the manual. The only thing i can think of is that the power supply is not giving enough power for it to start but thats just a guess. I'm guessing the motherboard must be good b/c the led's are hooked up to it and they're flashing.

Any ideas?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Computer won't power up

my psu is only 400watts and is fine for what I have in my sig.
How old is this build and when you hit the pow button, it is pressed all the way and catches?

BUT it does actually power on completely sometimes?

edit: scratch the only 400watts part, I remember I use an aux psu unit from thermaltake

Old 01-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Well, its happened twice before now, both times asociated with LAN parties, first was after i got back and second was that it wouldn't start while I was there. Both times I just had to wait like 20 mins and it would start up just fine. This time though, I shut it down at night and the next morning it didn't turn on.

What I meant about the power supply was that I thought it might be broken-thus not supplying enough power, not that 550wats isn't enough.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10

Check and see if your CPU power connector and 24-pin power pin is properly connected. And this does seem like your PSU isn't pushing enough juice to all your components.
|phucng_10's WM|
Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Sounds like the PSU is dying. Capacitors may be going bad.
Closed Thread