computer won't power on! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2007, 03:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default computer won't power on!

computer won't power on!

computer spec:
  • alien ware case, power supply came with it, has fan with blue.lights
  • asus dulex mother board
  • amd athlon 64 processor
  • goforce 3600 video card

issue: today i trey to power on teh computer and one i say some fan light came on then it just turned off! and comp won't bower on no.

i shut the computer manually by holding the power botten all this week, so i did it about 6times. since my vista would get stuck at shut down i had no other option, some time how ever i pressed the reset button and as soon as it got to boot screen i powered it off, and that is what i did last!

old things that can be useful info:

* bought the comp from friend
* the first window i installed was vista ultimate that i just purchased! that is the one causing alto of problems!
* also sometime my i saw that if i acedentally touched the pc, the fan lite would;d dim a little!

things i tested:
  • unplugged teh hd's all of them including teh vista one!
  • yellow light on mother board is on!
  • Unplug the computer for at least 1 minute. Then hold the power button in while you plug in the computer.
any help would be good! i can provide more info, so ask me what you like!

Old 10-07-2007, 03:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: computer won't power on!

Have you had this system awhile ? or did you recently build it ? Things to try:
Test power supply or replace with known good 1
See if CPU fan is spinning
recheck all power connections to the board
Reset cmos jumper
unplug power supply/remove battery and test / replace or re-install battery

Thermaltake Armor A90
Corsair HX1000W PS
i7 2600k / Cooler Master Hyper N 520
Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans
Old 10-07-2007, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: computer won't power on!

my friend had this system for about two years, or less before i bought it from him: he did replace some of the fans & the video card!

1. cpu fan, well there is one installed on top of it and it's connected same way as other fans! but i think it was not working, gonna try it in a MIN and reply agAIN!

2. motherboard has a yellow power light, and it's on, so the motherboard is not fry, nor is the power supply! as i think.

3. i don't know how to "reset cmos jumper," but i will Google it up! thanks

* i just thought it was wired that some time when i un-intentionally move the PC, the fan (blue)light was acting wired(it dims adn comes back on, just two of them)! teh computer also made a notice like a paper cut after the OS got stuck at shutdown, and it also made it while in the OS while browsing and doing things on the computer!
* also i again had vista ULTIMATE installed after i got this pc from him a month ago, and it got corrupted like week later after i installed it! allot of program stopped working and now the wireless internet was not working on it, so i had to do manual shutdown allot! i was about to erase vista and put windows xp pro on it!

computer spec:
  • alien ware case, power supply came with it, has fan with blue.lights
  • mother board: asus A8N-SLI Deluxe socket 939
  • amd athlon 64 processor
  • goforce 3600 video card
  • 1x4 ddr dam!
  • ata HD's

important: there is no pin in CLRTC, to clear cmos, i mean there is not even pin in defuilt postation, can that be a problem, and wherer can i buy the pin. also i do have some ATA hd black pins that are used to set it to master and slave can be used , not sure if it will fit!
Closed Thread