Computer won't post, no windows screen just all black. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Angry Computer won't post, no windows screen just all black.

Ok any help would be appreciated on this. I recently (5 months ago) built my third computer, and until recently had no problems. I was playing fallout 3 and my computer locks up and I have to manually turn it off (ctrl-alt-del does nothing).

I try and turn it on again and all I get is a black screen, no windows screen at all(fans and dvd drive still spins). The next day I turn on my computer again and it actually comes on, I check out a few websites and go upstairs to get some coffee. When I return the screen is black and does not respond to anything. From this point on all I get is a black screen (fans and dvd drive still spins) when I try to turn on my pc.

The computer is very new so i'm almost positive it's not my processor, I thought it may be my video card but i've ruled that out (it worked in another computer). I tried resetting my motherboard bios and a just got a popping noise when I turn it back on.

I bought a psu tester the other day and it indicates over voltage from my psu, which in turn makes me think that my power supply fried my mobo.

I really hope i'm wrong, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

512kb L2 Cache S478/ Zalman 7000B-AlCu cooler
Antec Solution Series 3700AMB Case 350W
XFX GEFORCE 6800GS VF700-AlCu VGA cooler
Benq Lightscribe 16x DVD ReWriter
Philips 17\" MONITOR
LG 52X24X52 CD-RW
Logitech MX518 Optical Mouse
Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Computer won't post, no windows screen just all black.

When these things happen it's natural to think the motherboard, CPU or PSU is stuffed, however, that's seldom the case. It is very possible it is not the motherboard as I have a similar problem with my PCs. I built 2 around 5 years ago and suddenly no post, blank screen on the one I use for the net. I stuffed around with it for a couple of days before finally removing the AGP card, it then booted into XP no problem. Thinking something had gone wrong with the AGP, I removed the AGP from the other machine and installed it, no post, blank screen. I have no explanation why this has happened, that said, you can bet the AGP cards are not the problem .... think twice before buying another board.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

take out ur GPU and try a diffrent one if you have one to see if it boots up
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Solved my AGP problem by re-installing the OS, no problems now .... AGP is installed. Should have thought of that before almost having myself committed.
Closed Thread