computer wont post, Hard drive most probably. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default computer wont post, Hard drive most probably.

Everything was working fine till one day i needed to reformat my HD. i found my XP disk, but found that my dvd cd rom drives were missing from the comp. no biggie, i reinstalled the dvd rom inside and plugged it in fine. now when ever i turn the computer on the IDE led wont show any activity, i can hear the HD unit spin and such but no activity...

I also rebuilt the system since then twice, checking all possible connections. ive tried 3 different sata connectors also.. i dont think the hard drive is being read... why all the sudden.... by the way this HD unit is Western digital 2000 , 200 GB caviar. this unit by the way is like...
6 years old.

4 years ago i had the same problem, a good refit of the wires would solve the problem... but now no matter how i refit, reconnect... it would show zero activity... please help... any idea's?? thanks

Old 01-30-2009, 05:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD
Default Re: computer wont post, Hard drive most probably.

Unplug the HDD... does it POST now?

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 01-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

no it doesnt.... its the same thing... nothing shows on the monitor...
Old 01-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Does it make any post beeps? Could there be a problem with your video or monitor?

The hard drive would have no effect on the ability to get into bios.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 01-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

ive never thought you can get into bios without the hd... i didnt tell anyone this but... when i was cleaning the comp for dust... the one of the screws with the connector from the monitor to the video card broke.. but you can still connect it flawlessly using one screw.... also.. normally when my computer works perfectly.. it would beep once saying everything was ok and it would boot. now there are no beeps... nothing..
Old 01-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

no post beeps is not very good. most likely it is your power supply or motherboard. try reconnecting your monitor, reseat your video card if you have one, reseat ram and reconnect power supply connections into your motherboard. If you had another old computer that you could pull the power supply from to test that would be useful as well.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

one thing i tried the ram and one of the sticks alone would make a long- short -short beep.
in every slot. but the other stick alone says no beeps but still no screen... also.. the stricks together have no beeps also.. everything was working fine untill i decided to reseat everything.. then no screen...
Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

UMM A HUGE BREAK THROUGH!!!!. i am so excited... ive found the problem i think to be either the adapter to the VGA which i fixed.. or one of the ram sticks which i removed... it posts NOW !!!! but there still is a small problem...

uppon trying stuff in the past to fix this i flashed the bios by removing the battery and putting it back in... now when it posts it does 2 beeps and says select proper boot device... and restart... but it does this so fast and i cant get into the bios.. how do i do this...
Old 01-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

some one please answer me??? it does now 2 short beeps, a post error, it says "CMOS settings wrong".. most likely because i flashed the bios before.. how do i get into bios real quick becuase it wont let me since it plays the screen real fast...
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have had this before and it turned out my HDD was dead, "insert proper boot disk" usually means bad hdd...I had to replace mine when this happened...not sure why its saying cmos settings wrong though.

Closed Thread