Computer won't POST after dissembling it... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Computer won't POST after dissembling it...

Firstly, this is a couple year old computer. It worked, so it has no compatibility issues or PSU issues. Also, none of the transistors on the mobo are damaged in any way. I also reset the CMOS. When having in 1 stick of RAM, the CPU, and the GPU it will not POST. However, when I remove the GPU, and power it, it WILL POST. But, it gives me the no video card error. But I can pretty tell it's working, because my RAM has activity LEDs on which are full unlike when it doesn't POST (with the GPU).

Now, when I have the GPU in, but take out either the CPU or RAM, it will also give me a POST error. So, when I have all 3 in, it will not POST at all. What exactly can be the possible problem here? Why wouldn't the computer just POST if the video card was bad with all 3 installed?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Computer won't POST after dissembling it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baphomet58 View Post
It worked, so it has no compatibility issues or PSU issues.
It's not working now and it sounds like your power supply has died. If I had to pick another possible suspect it would be the motherboard but it really sounds like the power supply has degraded.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok, this is a 700w PSU that's running with old hardware. It was $100, high quality PSU that barely has any use because I use my new computer. There's no way it's the PSU.

edit: And maybe I didn't mention it, but the motherboard is getting power, and all the fans spin. And this computer does POST, just not when the GPU is in it with the CPU and RAM.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

well the GPU takes up the most power so it would make sense that it could be over stressing the psu. What's the model psu? If you're still under warranty i'd suggest RMA'ing. Or get a PSU from a friend and try that, or borrow a GPU and see if it works with it in.

or as slay suggested it could be the motherboard.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

if anything, the psu is overkill for what this computer has. it's using a 8800 gts.

yesterday, the same exact thing happened and after I reseated my CPU, it post and booted to the bios. i sadly had to disassemble the **** thing due to irreverent reasons today.
anyway, reseating the cpu has done nothing today. I read something about thermal grease problems, but I don't have any on the motherboard.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Sounds like the motherboard...
Old 03-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well this must be one of the worst motherboards. asus m2n-deluxe. this would be the second time i'd have to replace it. probably doesn't have a warrantly anymore.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Call up ASUS and find out. ASUS isn't bad. You just got unlucky.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baphomet58 View Post
I read something about thermal grease problems, but I don't have any on the motherboard.
OK, to start with, if the CPU, Memory or the Video card is removed the system will not post. It's impossible. The system should Beep multiple times but that is not Posting.

The motherboard does not require thermal grease, the CPU on the other hand does. It goes on top of the CPU between the CPU and the heatsink. This is required, without it the system will get Hot very fast and shutdown. This could every well be your problem.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
OK, to start with, if the CPU, Memory or the Video card is removed the system will not post. It's impossible. The system should Beep multiple times but that is not Posting.

The motherboard does not require thermal grease, the CPU on the other hand does. It goes on top of the CPU between the CPU and the heatsink. This is required, without it the system will get Hot very fast and shutdown. This could every well be your problem.
I know that. I'm referring to how some say that certain thermal pastes (accidentally dropped on the mobo) can cause a PC to not POST. But here's the thing, my RAM shows me it's activity with LEDs. When I have the video card in, the RAM shows low activity in the green-yellow range. When I take my video card out, it does the no video card beep and then a single beep that I recall it always did when the BIOS first booted. It honestly seems the without the video card, the computer is fine. So, do you think it's possibly the video card, or the motherboard is damaged so it's specifically causing problems with the video card?

And I'll say this once again: This computer was built by me and used for a few years. Recently I've built another and it works great. I know what I'm doing. I've never encounter this problem from what I recall. The last time I returned the mobo, I don't exactly remember what happened to it, as it was years ago.

Closed Thread