Not open for further replies.

Myst789

Solid State Member
P4 2.8 northwood cpu on abit ai7 board
400w power supply (came with case)
2 512 pc2700 Mushkin ram
evga 6600gt agp vid card

hey guys,

Today i installed a zalman 9500 heatsink. I turn on the computer and it would start but wouldnt post. All cables have been checked and everything seems fine. I cleared the cmos too. what could the problem be? I just tried turning it on again and it starts for about 30 seconds and now shuts off! also the ram sticks dont seem to lock into place. has the motherboard finally gave out? Please help! thank you

- vee

yea installed the arctic silver. I also took off the northbridge heatsink and installed arctic silver on there too. everything was cleaned and installed word for word from their site. Cant figure what could be wrong. the ram sticks are solidly in place now and the computer is turning on as normal. but it still wont display anything. i installed a different video card which was an old pci and no difference. even installed a different ram chip and still no response. the motherboard isnt throwing any unordinary codes. its really ****ing me off. i just spent 100 bucks on a new hard drive and and another 60 for the heatsink. the 6600gt agp video card is about a week old and worked perfectly until these new additions. i even tried to clear the cmos and still nothing!

ah i got it! turns out that i over tightened the screws on the heatsink. when i pulled out the heatsink the cpu came out with it! i reinstalled everything and finally got my cpu temps down to about 41c. becareful installing those heatsinks! thanks again

thats what it seemed like but i remember pushing the cpu down and locking it into place. but none of the pins broke off when it was pulled out with the heatsink. i guess i got lucky everything worked out pretty well. just gotta be careful next time i pull off the heatsink.

How odd, never hearof anything like this... the cpu acually came out without you releasing the retention arm!?
How hard did you pull the thing ^.^

Happen to me before, scare the shiet out of me too. What happen was I apply to much thermal paste the previous month when I added a new heat sink and it just becomes like glue.

And also just to let you know when you switch to a PCI video card you won't be able to get it to work because your BIOS was set to initialize AGP for the video card. You would have to first get into BIOS somehow and select PCI.

yea it was surprising! for a second there i was freaking out until i examined the pins, guess i got lucky. the funny thing is i put a very small amount of AS 5 but when i pulled the heatsink out, it looked like paste. i scarped a bit more off and turned the heatsink a little after it was back on. everything is fine now. but i was hoping to drop below 40c but guess i would have to switch to water cooling.

the reason i installed the old pci card was because i remember the bios stating that it would load agp/pci. so i figured that if the agp card isnt there, it should load the pci card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom