Computer won't Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

narmerguy

Beta member
Ok, I've read probably 30 topics and nothing seems to help me short of buying a new motherboard. Here's my story.

Recently my computer stopped working (I'm pretty sure it was a power supply problem). So, I messed around (stupidly) with that red voltage switch trying to get the thing to work and I did get the computer to turn on once but it shut off partway through after a few hours and I could not get it to start again.

After that, I bought a new power supply and installed it but I plugged in the wrong 4 pin connector to the motherboard and the rubber/plastic around the wire started melting and smoke was coming from it. So I turned the supply off, switched the 4 pin connectors but nothing happened. The computer was completely unresponsive.

Finally I got another replacement and this time I installed correctly and so the computer turns on...the power supply fan is on, the lights come on my computer (near the power button) however nothing loads. The power button is unresponsive, the CD drives will not open, the hard drive doesn't seem to be spinning, and I don'thave a graphics card (the basic thing that comes with the motherboard is what I use). I would think it was the motherboard BUT I have a wireless pci adapter in a pci slot attached to my motherboard and the green light comes on whenever the computer turns on...I don't know how that would happen if the motherboard was fried.

I have no idea what to do. I've taken out the RAM and moved it to different slots and tightened it and everything. I get NO BEEPS when I turn on my computer. It's completely dead save the light for my adapter, the fan, and the lights that show my computer is on. I've been without ac omputer for about a month now and I'd really like to get this fixed.

Btw, my computer is an emachines (maybe 3-4 years old). Windows XP Home Edition.

I hate to tell you but you probably killed the board and the processor. Can't say with 100% certainty, but I would bet money on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom