computer wont display anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello

My computer just died on me. Prior to its death it was making screeching sounds

when i restarted the machine, i listened closely and i think it was the video card (Gigabyte GeForce FX 5700 Ultra) which was making the sounds.
i turned off the machine and then blew hard on the video card's fan to remve any of the "gooeey"(?) stuff on it.

this time around it starts detects all the drives and then after displaying the message "verifying DMI Pool Data" the screen just goes blank.

the computer does not seem to freeze at this message, but this message "verifying DMI Pool Data" disappears and then then nothing else happens.

i tried the DVI connector as well as the regular RGB(?) connector.

do you guys think it is the video card, hard disk or the mobo? what should i do now. please help!!

i have 2 hard disks
an 80 gig maxtor
and a 160 gig wd

and my mobo is a gigabyte 81875 ultra

out of the options you have supplied the hdd is the least likely. GFX card doesn't seem quite as likely as motherboard only because it turns on and then turns off at the screen mentioned. if it were hdd failure you would most likely either get a message stating so or it would freeze at the screen rather than have the monitor turn off. try to borrow a graphics card to test on the motherboard. also tell me if the hdd is still active after the screen goes blank.

thanks for the reply nitestick

you think that the most likely cause is the mobo then?

i will check to see if the hdd is active when the screen goes blank. when the screen goes blank, the on/off switch in the front of the machine does not make any difference, and i have to physically remove the power cable from the back? my case is an antec sonata (dont know if that makes a difference to the power turn off routine).

i dont have a graphics card which i can borrow, is there any other way i can test the grapics part, i was planning to buy a graphics card to test the graphics side out

i don't like the idea of buying a graphics card to test. i would see if anyone would allow you to test your graphics card on their computer if the reverse is impossible. no the case will not effect the power on/off. if the power button doesn't do anything that would suggest the system has locked up. get a copy of memtest86 on cd and run that. i'm interested to see if it will boot the cd, also it can eliminate ram as a possible cause of locking up. so let it run for an hour or so or a few passes whichever is faster, you will see what i mean by passes when you run it.

thanks for the reply

you mean run the copy of memtest86 or try to boot up from a windows xp cd rom?

i managed to borrow a graphics card(it is agp 4x, mine is an agp 8x) and am about to burn memtest86, will also check the powerlights when the machine is on and the message is blanked.

can you tell me which of the following mem tests should i perform

1) Cache mode
2) Test selection
3) Address Range
4) Memory Sizing
5) Error Summary
6) Error Report Mode
7) ECC Mode
8) Restart
9) Adv. Options

ok i am home with a 4x agp graphics card and the memtest and i start my computer and this time around it works
when i started the computer there was a unch of screeching sounds. can you tell me what is on its way out?

new power supply

i think its time to buy a new power supply, try one out from another comp first if u can

power supply ??

hey i just bought my antec sonata with its true power power supply a few months back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom