Computer won't boot with Sata drives plugged in. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Computer won't boot with Sata drives plugged in.

The short version of what I am trying to do is to use all 4 Sata ports that are on my motherboard (abit LG-75) and then set up a software raid. The problem is that when I have 4 Sata drives plugged in, the computer won't boot past the part where the Bios detects the 4 drives. I have played around with Bios settings and changing the ports that each drive is plugged into. As well as only having 1 or 2 plugged in. I have had relatively limited luck getting the computer to boot even with only 1 or 2 drives plugged in. I also checked abit's website and although there are bios updates for my motherboard, none of the descriptions seem to indicate any fix to the way it handles the Sata drives.

Any advice on where to look next would be much appreciated.

P.S. Am I barking up the wrong tree with the Bios, are sata drives handled by the bios or by an intel chipset...does this work independently of the bios?

-Thanks

EVGA GTX 480
OCZ-Vertex SSD
------------------------------
Q6600 (G0) @ Stock
Nvidia 8800GT x2 SLI @ Stock
4GB DDR2-PC6400 @ Stock
500GB Sata + 1TB
Evga 780i
Old 01-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Computer won't boot with Sata drives plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteroc View Post
The short version of what I am trying to do is to use all 4 Sata ports that are on my motherboard (abit LG-75) and then set up a software raid. The problem is that when I have 4 Sata drives plugged in, the computer won't boot past the part where the Bios detects the 4 drives. I have played around with Bios settings and changing the ports that each drive is plugged into. As well as only having 1 or 2 plugged in. I have had relatively limited luck getting the computer to boot even with only 1 or 2 drives plugged in. I also checked abit's website and although there are bios updates for my motherboard, none of the descriptions seem to indicate any fix to the way it handles the Sata drives.

Any advice on where to look next would be much appreciated.

P.S. Am I barking up the wrong tree with the Bios, are sata drives handled by the bios or by an intel chipset...does this work independently of the bios?

-Thanks

have you been in bios and switched the boot sec back to right way? it sometimes changes when you install new hardware

Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei441 View Post
have you been in bios and switched the boot sec back to right way? it sometimes changes when you install new hardware
Yes, I have switched the boot parameters and also have reset the bios to both "fail-safe" and "optimized" defaults. This did not work.
EVGA GTX 480
OCZ-Vertex SSD
Q6600 (G0) @ Stock
4GB DDR2-PC6400 @ Stock
500GB Sata + 1TB
Evga 780i
Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Update: Flashed the bios with the most recent version found on Abit's website. Still does not work. It boots up to the part where it detects the 4 sata drives plugged in, and stops. I can't press Del to get to the setup or F11 to get to the boot manager.

Any ideas?
EVGA GTX 480
OCZ-Vertex SSD
Q6600 (G0) @ Stock
4GB DDR2-PC6400 @ Stock
500GB Sata + 1TB
Evga 780i
Closed Thread