MOBO Geforce 6100-M9
Raidmax Hybrid 530W
Evga Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB
Lightscribe DVD Drive
Second DVD Drive (24x)
250gb Hardrive
Creative XtremeGamer Sound Card

Problem:
I turn on my computer and it loads to the "Starting Window" Animation. The animation begins and then the computer turns off.
System repair causes the computer to turn off
When trying to load into safe mode it stops at the line:
\windows\sstem32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.sys
it pauses for about 7 seconds, then the computer turns off
Restore to last successful configuration causes the computer to turn off

I've also tried loading a ubuntu live cd. It loads and I select to run ubuntu without installing. It begins to load, then the computer turns off.

Steps I've Taken:
Disable Automatic Restart – Resulted in a blue screen with the following message:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen ...

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS membory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0xc0000005, ...)

Collecting data for crash dump...
initializing disk for crash dump ...
beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your sys admin ...
Set the BIOS to “Load Optimized Defaults”.

Run the seagate harddrive DOS tool (both the long and short test) and both times the test resulted in a pass grade.

Run memtest over multiple iterations and it passes every time.

Run the Windows install cd but the computer turns off before the install cd makes it to any menus.

I've replaced the PSU with a spare that I know works.

I've removed my graphics card, sound card, and second dvd drive.

Verified all fans are working.

Plugged the computer into a different outlet and surge protector

Removed each ram stick and replaced them in every combination possible.

None of these things have improved the situation at all.

Notes:
Memtest and Seagate harddrive dos tool run perfectly off a dvd. Everything else causes the computer to turn off.
I'm not sure how to test the motherboard but I feel like it's the only thing I havn't tested.
The computer was running fine at night, when I woke up I noticed it was off because it is normally on. I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you have as I'm at the end of my technical knowledge.

good troubleshooting.

the fact that it won't run live cds implies that the issue is with hardware.
it sounds like proc complications so far, or motherboard.
are there any usb devices plugged in?
what changes have you made to the system recently?

good troubleshooting.

the fact that it won't run live cds implies that the issue is with hardware.
it sounds like proc complications so far, or motherboard.
are there any usb devices plugged in?
what changes have you made to the system recently?

I'm not sure what you mean by proc complications.

No usb device plugged in besides my keyboard which I've used with this computer for 2-3 years.
No driver or new software has been installed in at least 2-3 weeks. Its possible, windows downloaded an update but I doubt that it would cause this problem.

No hardware changes have been made in over 2 months.

What OS are you running? Also sounds like a hardware error, but searching the 'error code' it points to a software/driver error. From the cutting off part, that seems to be overheating of some sort. Can you take out the heatsink and maybe check if the thermal paste needs reapplying?

I could be totally wrong but just from personal experiences, that used to happen to me before with the overheating stuff.

Its Windows 7. Your the second person to suggest reapplying thermal paste, so i'll have to get my hands on some and give it a try.

Its Windows 7. Your the second person to suggest reapplying thermal paste, so i'll have to get my hands on some and give it a try.

the thing that makes me think it's not updates or thermal compound is that it'll run certain hardware diags but not live cds.

i've run into a problem that we ultimately chalked up to a bad core on the processor. replacing the processor fixed the issue, so the processor was obviously the source of the problem, but the system would boot and idle for as long as we would let it sit, but as soon as we tried to run another program, it would cut off. the advanced settings on msconfig were set to boot using only one core, which would explain why it would boot properly, but as soon as an application was initialized that would use the second core, the system shut down.

i would try to use another processor and see what that does. if you can't get another processor to test with, try reseating it when you replace the thermal compound.

Today I pulled out the heat sink and processor. I cleaned both including dust removal and cleaning off the old thermal paste. I then applied new thermal paste and put everything back together.

Despite this, the problem persists without any change.

Unless anyone else has another suggestion I'm probably going to have to take it in to have the motherboard and processor tested because I do not have a spare motherboard or processor to test it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom