Computer wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
My computer won't boot for some reason. I can get to the windows loading screen usually but it just keeps loading, never goes anywhere. Some times the screen will appear, then a second later bsod and start over. I tried taking a ram stick out, and moving it to different slots but o no avail. Can't seem to find the problem though. I am going to run mem test tonight anyway to make sure, but i was hoping that some one would know what the problem was.

Can you get to Windows Safe Mode?
Safe mode is accessed by pressing F8 key before Windows loads

Once in Safe Mode you can Prevent automatic restart in XP or Vista

Then see if you can restart into Normal Mode
Either in "Normal Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking"
Click on Start > Run > c:\windows\Minidump
Zip up any recent Minidumps
Then reply here and Attach (using the "Manage Attachments" button) the Zip file to a New Reply

--------

If you cannot get to Safe Mode either
You can try running Check Disk from the Windows boot Setup CD
Boot from the Windows Setup CD
Press the first "R" prompt
On the command line type: chkdsk C: /r (note one space after C: )
Once completed the scan/fix, restart normally

Let me know the result

already tried safe mode, it bsods after about 10 seconds of trying it...it doesn't go anywhere, just bsod's. If you like i could get the stop code. I have not tried to google the stop error code yet though. No to the sounds and new hardware as well. It looks as if it is going fine, but the loading bar just keeps going and going, i left it for an hour once and it was still doing that same thing. I have checked the normal causes of failed booting.

I have tried restarting about 10 times to see if i can find any more issues and i think i have, some times the keyboard and mouse are not geting power threw the usb ports.

Thinking something got corrupted i tried to do a repair install and it just blue screened... it didn't even get a chance to start.

Right now im thinking it is either the mobo or psu...if there is any other ideas i would be glad to hear it. Im going to try the psu in a noter computer...or vice versa (try another psu in this computer) to see if that is a problem, although the only other psu i have is no where near enough to power my system so it probably wont work anyway, so i'll probably just try this one in a different computer.

already tried safe mode, it bsods after about 10 seconds of trying it...it doesn't go anywhere, just bsod's. If you like i could get the stop code. I have not tried to google the stop error code yet though. No to the sounds and new hardware as well. It looks as if it is going fine, but the loading bar just keeps going and going, i left it for an hour once and it was still doing that same thing. I have checked the normal causes of failed booting.

I have tried restarting about 10 times to see if i can find any more issues and i think i have, some times the keyboard and mouse are not geting power threw the usb ports.

Thinking something got corrupted i tried to do a repair install and it just blue screened... it didn't even get a chance to start.

Right now im thinking it is either the mobo or psu...if there is any other ideas i would be glad to hear it. Im going to try the psu in a noter computer...or vice versa (try another psu in this computer) to see if that is a problem, although the only other psu i have is no where near enough to power my system so it probably wont work anyway, so i'll probably just try this one in a different computer.

Stop codes could prove to be helpful. Have you tried reseating the HSF? Highly unlikely unless you have been moving it quite a bit, but still possible.

Have you tried reseating the HSF? Highly unlikely unless you have been moving it quite a bit, but still possible.
no i have not tried doing that, as i dont think that is it. But i might as well try. I'll see if i can get the stop codes today. The one that sometimes happens when booting up before i get to the loading screen goes by way to fast for me to read it, so i wont be able to get that one, and the one that happens when trying safe mode does the same things, so the one i can is trying to do a repair install.

edit: got the stop code for it. 0x000000d1 (i have the rest but it is not really needed). it seems that this stop code means that there is incorrect drivers used, which could be possible i guess since i just re-installed like a week ago because of a hard drive failure. I used all the correct drivers though....even if i wanted to try to fix it, i can't, because i cant get into safe mode. I guess i could try re-installing the os yet again.

edit: correction, i can't re-install, it bsods right off the back of trying it, just like trying a repair install.

edit 2: i think i found the problem. I installed my os on my ssd, i had not done that before. It worked for a good week, then these problems started showing up. So it got me thinking, maybe it is not just a coincidence. Well, i took out the ssd (which has the os on it) tried to install xp on my other hdd (i already had a partition open anyway for windows 7) and it is installing as i type. I have not blue screened, nothing. So i think for some reason the ssd was the problem. I am fairly certain that it is still working ,just for some reason not with the os. I will plug it in to see after xp is installed and ready on the other hard drive.

Thanks for your input though.

Although it just did something funky as i am typing right now. It restarted right after windows finished installing, then it asked which os i wanted to start...xp pro or xp pro (i only have it installed once). It is now finishing the last bit of installing. It seems to be working fine though.

problem wasn't fixed with the new install. It worked fine for half a day, then i tried to start the computer up in the morning and it bluescreen either just after the loading screen, or just before it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom