computer wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdruff

Baseband Member
I was cleaning the dust out of my computer today. There is a fan attatched to the access door. The computer was running when I was plugging the fan back in. It sort of sparked then shut down. When I tried to boot it back up, it wouldn't boot past the black screen showing the processor speed and drives. It says press del to setup but it doesn't respond. It never gets past this page.

I tried removing the bios battery and unplugging it.

Any ideas on how to diagnose the problem?

thanks

update: One of my disk drives doesn't have power. One does. Don't know if this helps but just trying to figure it out

The computer was running when I was plugging the fan back in. It sort of sparked then shut down.

Little warning for you. You should never do what you did, plug something into your system when its running as you can fry it all in 1 small reckless move. Not only can you blow your PSU out but also cook all your hardware.

When your system is off but plugged in, it naturally removes static lingering anywhere & when you turn it on its safe to do so, now plugging something in whilst its on can do any of the following.

The static will wipe out your entire system.
The sudden surge of power needed can blow your PSU (9/10 its just a fuse gone but people still threw them out :/)
or both of these can happen.

Ether way, always power down & unplug before connecting or unconnecting anything in a pc.

Last week i shut down my Acer Aspire M1100 and only 2 years old if that. Unplugged the tower and then unplugged everything from the back, unscrewed the fan and unplugged it, cleaned it and put it back in place. Then i removed the power supply and cleaned that fam also. Put it all back together and now it wont boot up to windows. Anything that is plugged into the back isnt getting a signal. After i power it on, the fans kick on, the HDD starts but the initial beep that starts windows isnt there.
I too it to a repair tech and he said that my motherboard was shot, dont see how. Any possible ideas as to what happened. Or if the mother board is shot, what kind of new one should i use. This computer is loaded.

Thanks again for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom