Status
Not open for further replies.

xCalliba

Beta member
System Details (if it helps!?):
Mobo: ASUS M2N32-SLi deluxe
CPU: AMD 6400x2 Black edition
Ram: 4 Kingston 1gb DDR800 sticks
HDDs: WD 150gb Raptor (sata1) and a WD750gb (sata2)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750w modular
Plus a bit more hardware that im sure is irrelevant to mention

The Problem:
When i turn my PC on, it goes on for 4 seconds and then turns itself back off

Cause of death:
Whilst the computer was off, i unplugged everything from behind and opened the case. I pulled out my 8600GT graphics card and replaced it with a new 8800GT, plugged in the extra power source to the 8800, closed the case and plugged everything back in from behind, including the power. Upon pressing the powerbutton, it booted for 4 seconds and turned itself back off, which it has consitently been doing since

Things i have tried:
-Pulling the battery out and cleared the CMOS
-Trying the 8800 in a different computer (which it worked) eliminating a GFX card fault
-Trying a working 8500GT in my computer, to no avail
-Seperately unplugged one thing at a time and powering up to see if it was an individual device causing power failure (i.e cd drive, hard drives, fans, lights etc etc)
-Pulled EVERYTHING apart and sat it on the bench, gave the components a visual checkover, then re-assembled the whole PC again from scratch
-Trying to boot the computer without a GFX card, using only onboard
- All of these things above gave me exactly the same result... powerup for 4 seconds and self-shutdown

Also, as mentioned above, whilst the motherboard was out i had a detailed inspection of all the attached mobo components for breakages, burnt out components and general abnormalities. But visualy all seemed Ok

Things i know that work:
The graphics card!
If i unplug the 4-pin EATX12v connector (but leaving in the 24-pin EATXPWR) from the mobo, everything powers up and stays on... but i obviously cant use the system because i need the 4-pin connected. Once re-connecting the 4-pin, i get the same self-shutdown

Solution:
Cry about my problem on the forums and hope someone can help me! :D

This is not the first time it has done this though, i once tried installing a HDMI card, and it wud self-shutdown after 4 seconds, and even after taking the card back out, it still kept doing it. So after a while i decided to reset the CMOS, and without the HDMI card in, it booted fine and has since. And as above, i tried resseting the CMOS this time aswell, but to no avail. So i assume it doesnt like me changing any hardware for sum reason?

Please help!

have you tried another psu?
is your HSF connected properly and securely?
your cpu could be faulty, since it will run until you power up cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom