computer whirring excessively noisily - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: computer whirring excessively noisily

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdan View Post
Thanks, that was a good pic.

So once I open these bridges up I just clean old paste and put on new? There's no 'certain area' to apply it to? What amount should I apply, should I judge it by what's already in there?
I dont understand how applying ointment will reduce temperatures btw.
It's not ointment, its thermal compound . It's Made to help transfer heat from the chip to the heatsink, which in turn reduces temperatures.

Quote:
Also is there any damage I can do by doing this wrong, or is this fairly safe?
As long as you don't damage the chips by physical force, you should be fine.

Quote:
Should I also consider buying a new fan? Or should I just do that instead? If so, any suggestions on what type of fan would be nice
If you get a new fan, make sure it matches the same size as the other one, but get one with a higher CFM (how much air it can move) rating, but still a fairly low dBA level, otherwise it will be just as noisy. But remember, fans with a low dBA will generally have a lower CFM

Quote:
In the pic Carnage attached, would I be correct in assuming the southbridge is the one at the bottom right of the screen?
Northbridge is near the top (get it, North? ) and southbridge is, you guessed it, at the bottom (hence 'south').

Quote:
Oh suddenly I'm thinking - once I open the computer do I need to take out the motherboard in order to be able to do this, or can it stay connected and there'll still be enough space to maneuver within?
Depends on the board; if you have the plastic plunger clips like in Soulphire's pic, then you'll need to remove the board in order to remove those clips. If you can remove the heatsinks while it is still screwed to the case, then you should be fine.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Talking Re: computer whirring excessively noisily

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
If you get a new fan, make sure it matches the same size as the other one, but get one with a higher CFM (how much air it can move) rating, but still a fairly low dBA level, otherwise it will be just as noisy. But remember, fans with a low dBA will generally have a lower CFM
Cool. I've clicked on a few fans and turns out that info is given so thats good. The problem is that I dont know whats high or low. Can you give me some sample good numbers?

Also is there some way to know what kinda fan I currently have in there? No point changing fans if the one I have is already pretty good right?

Quote:
Northbridge is near the top (get it, North? ) and southbridge is, you guessed it, at the bottom (hence 'south').
Oh cmon man I'm no that silly :P However top/bottom changes when you change which direction you're looking from.

Quote:
Depends on the board; if you have the plastic plunger clips like in Soulphire's pic, then you'll need to remove the board in order to remove those clips. If you can remove the heatsinks while it is still screwed to the case, then you should be fine.
I have no clue what this means. But no worries, I guess when I finally open this thing up things will make more sense. I've been working for the past few hours trying to get this IE7 to work, that's been creating problems in its own right. I wont get into an issue on that here since thats a diff topic, but just to mention in case someone's already expeirenced this: ie7 wont work, says page cant be displayed. firefox/chrome work just fine, ie7 works fine under another user. reset all settings, reset all startup programs, reset all services, yet still didnt work. eeek!

You want the best? Here I am
Old 06-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

hey fellas!

i've finally solved the problem so thought i'd mention here what i did.

ready?

i cleaned on the inside!

that was it. i'm quite surprised that that had such a drastic effect. its quiet as a mouse now. no more fans, no paste, no nothing. just doing that. so perhaps for future reference one should do that and if that doesnt work THEN get into all the other things.

thanks for all your help fellas, it was appreciated.

btw one more question, then this thread can be closed. my test now 45-47 for motherboard, and 50 for CPU. is that OK or still too high? this is just in normal functioning, not necessarily full load. i've just installed 2 more gigs of ram for a total of 3 gigs so full load wont happen too much.

ohhhh now that i've written that it occurs to me - could it be that cleaning had nothing to do w/ the noise, and that that just stopped b/c more RAM means less load?

oops. in which case disregard what i said above

You want the best? Here I am
Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

50 is still high for the CPU, if that temp was taken while the cpu was idle. Under load it's okay, not great but ok.
47 is also still high for your mobo, for comparison my mobo runs 10 degrees cooler than that. But at the same time it's not going to kill/damage anything so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As said earlier though, if the 50 degree temp on the cpu wasn't taken under load then you shouldn't stop worrying just yet.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread