Computer Types by Itself

AllyKat

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I really could use some help here. I'm working on a company PC, and it keeps typing by itself and selecting things. It will type %E?+E? randomly throughout the day. For example, if I'm checking my email, it will create a folder entitled ? by itself. It is becoming increasingly difficult to work on spreadsheets while this is happening. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's enough to make me want to blow my brains out lol. Ran AVG, no viruses found. It's a work computer, so no crazy sites are being visited that I know of (but I'm not the only one who uses it). I can't find anything else like this online, as it is not typing sentences (like a voice to text program is running) or the same letter (like a sticky key), it is always %E?+E?. Help please! It's done this 3 times during this message, I'm just a good proof reader!

Cheers,
Ally

Don't really know, maybe someone at work has access to your computer, and they are just messing with you. I'm sure that's probably not the case, and I have no idea what would cause that. Someone who actually knows what they are talking about will comment soon.

Since this is a work computer, I really suggest you get our IT department to check it out.

More because doing so makes you not responsible if things are bad, or if bad sites are happening.

I've spoken to my supervisor about it and we're both kind of baffled, this is a small health clinic reception desk computer, so we don't really have an IT department per se. But we are in a rather large office building with subway access, and we have wifi so I suppose it's possible someone has hacked our network. Thanks for the responses, and if anyone has thoughts on how to make this stop it would be much appreciated.

I like AVG and I sometimes use it; however, whenever I suspect a malware infection, I always run scans with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and DrWeb CureIt in addition to my normal antivirus software.

It might also be a problem with your keyboard.

Apart from those two things, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Have you tried another keyboard (and/or mouse) on this machine? It sounds to me like it's a faulty logic board on the keyboard itself.

If someone hacked the computer, then I would honestly assume that they either A. want free wifi; or B. want information that your company has. Either way I would also change the password on the network, or maybe even go wired to avoid the situation altogether.

Also, just to be safe, try running the computer in safe mode (with networking if you want) , and do an "anti" scan that way. Maybe even run a few programs while it's in safe mode and see if it happens then. If it does, then I'm 98% sure it's a hardware issue. (I.E. Keyboard, mouse, etc...)

Back
Top Bottom