Computer turns on but no video and five short beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2myear2000met

Solid State Member
I recently put together a computer with all brand new parts. It was working for a while and then today I installed two front case fans. I went to boot up my computer and there was no video and the computer made five short beeps. Everything is getting power, all the fans are running including on the CPU and Video Card. Any idea why this could have happened and more importantly what the solution is?

Here is what I'm using...also I have Windows XP X64 (the 64-bit edition)
-ASPIRE X-CRUISE ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply
-ASUS P5ND2-SLI Socket T Nvidia nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition ATX Intel Motherboard
-XFX PVT42GUAD7 Geforce 6800GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
-Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model BX80547PG3000F
-Two KBYTE 1-GB DDR2 PC4200 RAM
-Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JD 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
-Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value SB0400 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
-ASUS Black IDE CD Burner Model CRW-5232A3
-ASUS Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A

Reset your CMOS by taking out the large watch battery on the motherboard and leaving it out overnight before puting it back in.

Take out and put back in (reseat) all PCI cards, AGP card, and all RAM sticks you may have installed. If that fails, unplug the two fans you've just installed and see if it makes a difference.

well I reset the CMOS and no luck I also took out all PCI cards AGP and memory and still nothing. Also I tried removing the two fans and that did not help either...still searching for an answer

Take out the video card, does it still make the same pattern of beeps? If no, take your RAM out and see also.

If the pattern of beeps changes after taking out either RAM and Video card, perhaps you hadnt ground yourself properly when installing the two new fans?

Did you do any case modding (drilling holes through the case for fan screw holes) at all?

when i took out the video card it made the same noise, but when i took out the ram it made 3 short beeps in constant sets...3 beeps and a second in between then 3 beeps and etc

Ok. The new pattern of beeps means theres no RAM in the machine. How many sticks of RAM are you using? If more than one, Put one in at a time and see if it solves the problem.

yup i tried that, i have two sticks and i tried each one separately and it made the same 5 short beeps...i mean i can only assume that it is either the motherboard or the processor and i dont know which to try and replace and i have a 64 bit processor and i dont know anyone else who has one or a motherboard that supports 64 bits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom