Computer turning on randomly from hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
When I put my PC in hibernate, my PC will always come out at random times. I thought hibernation consisted of actually powering down the machine, so I find this a little wierd. I checked the railings on my PSU and they seem good. What could it be?

It sounds like something is running in the background to make it start up again. I would run a spy ware and virus scanner to check for any surprises...

does it only happen from hibernate? check the BIOS power-on settings make sure the RTC alarm or power on lan etc isn't turned on. you are right, hibernation does power down the machine. it is similar to standby except rather than keeping the cpu and ram powered, it turns them off and stores the contents of ram in a file on your hdd so it can recover them and boot as if from standby.

sPlAtOiD said:
It sounds like something is running in the background to make it start up again. I would run a spy ware and virus scanner to check for any surprises...

i shouldnt think so, as the comp is actually powered off. check that it is powered off properly by hibernating, and then switching off at the plug, turn on pc to use up power in capacitors (or wait a while) and then turn on at plug and see if it resumes the session with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom