Computer turning off and on - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Computer turning off and on

Information:
Motherboard: Scan.co.uk: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3 Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard - P8P67 PRO <Rev.3.0>
Ram: Scan.co.uk: Corsair Memory Vengeance Blue 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop - CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
CPU: Scan.co.uk: Intel CPU Core i7 2600K Unlocked Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor - BX80623I72600K

I made a thread a while back about my ram speed: Problem with Ram speed

Anyway I went into the bios since my ram speed went down to 1333Mhz (again) and changed the settings so its back up to 1600Mhz.. but i forgot to change the other settings too.. So now every time i turn my PC on.. it turns back off and restarts itself.. over and over.

How do i enter the Bios if my PC keeps turning off?

Also when i was looking at the bois settings i noticed that it had CPU turbo mode enabled.. does that mean its over clocked?
i didnt set it to enable.. well i dont think so.. i just need get back on to the bios and set every thing as default..

Thanks.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Computer turning off and on

Turbo mode will overclock your CPU on the fly, when more CPU power is needed.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Turn the PC off and unplug it from the wall. Remove the side panel and look at the bottom of the motherboard for the battery, it's round, shiney and about the size of a nickel. Right below the battery you should see a jumper, it's connected to 2 pins and one pin is exposed. Move the jumper to the exposed pin + the middle pin. Leave it there for 10-15 seconds and then move it back to it's original location. This will reset the bios to it's original Default values.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
Turn the PC off and unplug it from the wall. Remove the side panel and look at the bottom of the motherboard for the battery, it's round, shiney and about the size of a nickel. Right below the battery you should see a jumper, it's connected to 2 pins and one pin is exposed. Move the jumper to the exposed pin + the middle pin. Leave it there for 10-15 seconds and then move it back to it's original location. This will reset the bios to it's original Default values.
Thank you, it works now
also... after looking at the CPU turbo mode setting again after the bios was reset.. it still says enabled.. and that the "Target CPU Speed" is 3.8MHz.. when its meant to be 3.4.. but if i turn the turbo mode off it goes down to 0 MHz.
I dont know what to do..
Old 05-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

nvm.. i left it on and after a restart on the main page of the bios it says the speed is 3424mhz.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Turbo Mode is suppose to be enabled