Computer Trouble, dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDerekI

Baseband Member
Hello

my secendary computer seems to be fighting for its life at the moment. its a busy computer working for gaming during the day to TV at night, has very little rest [around 5 years old].
lately it has been turning off unexpectedly and requiring me to wait awhile then switch the PSU off and on - then turn on, to get working again.

I figuered that the computer was overheating because the computer needed some time before i could start it up again.

It mostly shutsdown when playing CSS or GW.
and for some strange reason it shuts down more rarely [thogh it still does] when its booted into linux.

All considered what do you think i should do?

x86 Intel Pentium 4 2.4ghz
512 megs of ram
RADEON 9250 128 meg graphics

Sounds like you are having an overheating problem caused by dust. The reason it shuts down less in linux is because linux is not as intense as windows. To fix it all you have to do is open the computer open and blow all the dust out of there. what type of computer is it? a custom "home build" or a prebuild (dell, hp, compaq, gateway, etc...)

just clear all the dust out and that should fix it.

bmxfreakrider said:
Sounds like you are having an overheating problem caused by dust. The reason it shuts down less in linux is because linux is not as intense as windows. To fix it all you have to do is open the computer open and blow all the dust out of there. what type of computer is it? a custom "home build" or a prebuild (dell, hp, compaq, gateway, etc...)

just clear all the dust out and that should fix it.

I agree that its probably a heating issue, and as much as dust can cause it, simply cleaning it isn't always a fix.

Machines will also run warmer as they get older. Go get a copy of speedfan to keep track of temperatures in your case. Get a can of air, and clean the dust from the inside of the case. Afterward, pay attention to the temps from speedfan.

If your still seeing heat issues, you may want to look into a better heatsink and fan.

Im not sure what to make of all these stats speedfan is throwing at me but..

temp1 : 43.C
temp2 : 40.C
temp3 : -55.C
HD0 : 43.C
Temp1 : 40.C

Fan1 : 3668 RPM
Fan2 : 0 RPM
Fan3 : 0 RPM

today the computer hasnt died once!. cant explain it but that must be good.

Oh yea and i purchased this computer from some company that went bankrupt quite awhile ago, i imagn thay just put it together outa cheap parts.

costed 6 thousand dollers -_-.

Oh yea and writen on the PSU there is 150W combined , 250W total. Does that make it is a 250W PSU?

Just running SpyBot S&D then will AVG anti virus on it, letz see what it finds.

Oh no! speed fan is alerting me!

Temp1 : 59.C
Temp2 : 41.C
Temp3 : -55.C
HD0 : 43.C
Temp1 : 40.C

Fan1 : 3590 RPM
Fan2 : 0 RPM
Fan3 : 0 RPM

and SpyBot S&D is finding alot! of spywere.

lol i have abused this PC as a secendry for too long only looking after my main.

What would Temp1 be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom