Computer suddenly won't turn on - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer suddenly won't turn on

Good evening all; I'm a newbie here requesting help with a computer I recently required from a friend.

I've had this machine for two weeks -- haven't done anything with BIOS or even installed any programs myself yet. He had everything already running for me. A few days ago I noticed it was getting a little choppy while playing games, and I'd disconnect from the internet quite a bit. It wasn't until I was getting disconnected every five minutes that I decided to restart the computer and then it would not turn on again. All of the fans in the machine are going, including the one on the cpu and gpu, and the hd led light flickers every now and again. I can't tell if the hd is running or not because its somewhat hard to get to in the machine.

So far I've tried switching off of the graphics card to the onboard graphics, seeing if it would POST with just the psu, cpu and mobo connected and when I didn't hear any beeps, I assumed it was the motherboard. I bought a new mobo today making sure it was compatible with the cpu I already had and two new sticks of ram. I installed them with ease, though, I noticed that while taking the heatsink off it didn't seem to be attached too well to the old mobo. I also noticed while working with the cables to the f_panel that there were only 4; hd led, power led, power switch and reset switch -- none to the speaker, so maybe there should have been a beep code that I couldn't hear?

Anyhoo, here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 6600 2.64ghz
old ram: 2 sticks of corsair ddr2 1024mb
new ram: 2 sticks of corsair ddr3 2g
old mb: gigabyte ga-965p-ds3 lga 775
new mb: gigabyte ga-g41mt-s2pt
gpu: nvidia geforce gt 240

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks in advance for any consideration.
chibig is offline   Reply With Quote