Computer stuck - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Computer stuck

Hello.
Okay new strange issue in my PC lately.
I noticed it when I plugged it into electricity, PC turned on automatically without me clicking turn on button. I turned it off by clicking on power button, getting out the electricity cord, plugging it again, same thing.
But the more problem is, it's stuck. Whether I turn it on by plugging it in, or by plugging it in then turning it off and returning it on, it's stuck on very first screen. I don't know what it's called, it's the one which displays the buttons I can use for various action. Like DEL : BIOS SETUP. It also says gigabyte smart safe.
I'm smelling a blown up PSU. It's been acting weirdly for a while, computer was slow and laggy but it wasn't with the previous PSU. It's also not a quality PSU, it's called 2B ( I bet someone to have known this PSU lol ).
Suggestions?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Computer stuck

Get a new PSU. End of story. Your PSU could be shocking your PC.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Get a new PSU. End of story. Your PSU could be shocking your PC.
Expected that .
So here are my system specs, I wonder how many watts I need to run it at :
E8400 Dual Core Intel processor underclocked @ 2.40 GHZ due to mobo limitation ( sometimes overclocked to its stock 3.00 GHz )
ATI Radeon x1550 PCI Express Graphics card
250 GB Sata HDD
160 GB IDE HDD
Gigabyte 945PL-S3P Motherboard
Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

You can probably get by with a 400W PSU. Get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...c43561a85a9ed5

A good rebate on that baby.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Get a better PSU as suggested and also clear the CMOS.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Can't buy online. Being located in Egypt, I believe shipping will be super expensive to here. So I'll buy locally.
@Kmote : How to clear cmos ?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2006/...os_battery.jpg

that's what the cmos battery looks like, it could be located pretty much anywhere on your motherboard. Just pop it out for like 5 minutes and then put it back in.

as far as your computer starting up when you plug in the power cord, that's a setting in your bios. I'm not 100% which one it is exactly, and it depends on your specific bios version, but there's a setting in the power settings for it. just lurk around in it and try some things, something will eventually work.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

The computer doesn't even turn on lol. It gets stuck on very first screen as I said.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

then reset the cmos first, and if you're able to get to the bios then you can fix your problem of having the PC turn on when you plug it in.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Sorry but still does this mean I need a new PSU? or clearing cmos would get me out of this trouble?
Also, one of the lagging problems I have with this PSU is that a certain folder with lots of files in it causes computer to freeze for a while each time I open it. PSU-related problem I think?
EDIT : Also, how am I supposed to take out the cmos battery? What tool should I use?

Closed Thread