Computer stopped working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

girardkirth

Beta member
Hello I am new to the forums and I have a question. My computer recently stopped working, it ran fine the whole time I had it(3-4 years) I installed a usb 2.0 wireless adapter and suddenly the computer shut off, it powers up but does not boot up. There is power to all fans and led lights the cd rom light is on but the computer is quiet leaving me to believe the hard drives are not spinning. I plugged my hard drives into another computer and they work fine, how do I tell if my mobo is fried? I already read the bios flashing and I am going to try that but does anybody have any ideas to help me figure out whats going on in the meantime? Thank you for any help.

First and foremost, strip down the computer to the bare minimum and try turning it on. Leave only the hard drive, one stick of RAM, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. To determine if the motherboard is dead, take out all the RAM, and boot it up. If the computer makes several beeps, it means the motherboard is very much alive and detecting no RAM, so it can't boot. If you get no beeps what-so-ever, that means its not POSTing and the motherboard is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom