Computer starts up, but Monitor is not getting a signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jermanfu

Baseband Member
It started when I downloaded some windows updates. It said there were updates for my MOBO: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail, video card (8800GTX) and one other that I don't recall now.

I didn't download the updated driver for my video card, because I had DLed the one from Nvidia.com (Forceware 169.25 for Windows Vista 32-bit).

After I downloaded the updates and restarted, I could hear my computer starting up to the sign-in screen, but the monitor was saying there was no signal. I could even type in my PW and hit enter, and hear the computer finish the sign in. So it seems like a video problem.

I tried doing a system restore to a couple of days previously, but it didn't seem to help. I can power up in safe mode, but when I try to reinstall the drivers for my video card, it does the same thing. My question I guess is, how will I know if it is something wrong with my video card, or if it is a software conflict of some sort?

I have had this PC built for about a week now and had no problems until this latest microsoft update (**** you MS!).

I made it into the BIOS. I don't see an option anywhere for on board video. I may have missed it though, if anyone is familiar with my MOBO.

Also, I tried reinstalling Vista since everything was working fine until this last update. The only problem is, reinstalling doesn't do a complete wipe. There are some files left behind. Does anyone know how to do a complete wipe of the HD if I want to start completely over?

During the vista install there should be an option to format the drive you wish to use to install.

thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to do a clean install as a last resort I guess. First off though, back to the onboard video. I located the monitor connector for what I think is the onboard video.

Once I get into the BIOS, does anyone know how I can access the on board video settings for my particualr MOBO? I've looked through the different settings, but can't seem to locate it.

That motherboard does not have onboard graphics.

Try booting into safe mode and using system restore to go back to before whatever happened. It sounds to me like:
  1. your GFX card failed (but you wouldn't see the BIOS either)
  2. the drivers screwed you over
  3. the updates screwed you over
  4. combination of 2 & 3

That motherboard does not have onboard graphics.

Try booting into safe mode and using system restore to go back to before whatever happened. It sounds to me like:
  1. your GFX card failed (but you wouldn't see the BIOS either)
  2. the drivers screwed you over
  3. the updates screwed you over
  4. combination of 2 & 3

Thanks I just noticed on the specs for my board that there is no on board video. I'll try your suggestions and if nothing else I guess I'll RMA my video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom