Computer starts but no monitor signal or usb signals - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Angry Computer starts but no monitor signal or usb signals

This morning I arrived back at my mothers house only to find out that the power had gone out and I had left my computer on but it is hooked up through a surge protecter so I don't think that is the problem.

When I went to start up my comp my power supply turns on, vid card fan and my recently installed cpu fan which I hope isent a part of the problem all turn on but I don't recieve anything to the monitor and my mouse and keyboard dont light up as usual. Everything was working perfectly after my newest install of the zalman cpu fan as of a week ago. My comp was running much cooler and I got rid of my random restarts due to overheating.

I have checked all my connections from the monitor to mobo, taken them all out and replaced them correctly and that did not work. I know its not the monitor because im using it on my mothers comp right now.

So right now im a little dumbfounded. I'm not great with computers but I pretty much know what im doing and im about at the end of my run with this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Curtis Houde

Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Can you drop another vid card in? to check if that did not fry. or do you have an onboard video out to check as well?

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 11-29-2005, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I do have another vid card but its back at my dads house which is about 2 hours away and I can't go back for a few days at least. And my mobo has no onboard vid card. I can go purchace a new one but I don't wanna do that unless I know that it is the problem. Any other ideas? And thank you for the quick response.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

Does the system beep at you at all ?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

pull the vid card and reseat it. See if you have a friend close by with a vid card you can pull from their computer. Is the computer posting? ie you hear post beeps when you start is up. You may also want to reseat the ram and pull out any unnessesary hardware.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 11-29-2005, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

There is no beeping what so ever. But it's odd because I have had video cards burn out on me in the past but like I said in my previous post that my mouse wont light up like it did before when my other card died. So im thinking it could be the mobo which I really hope it is not.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by hefemeister
pull the vid card and reseat it. See if you have a friend close by with a vid card you can pull from their computer. Is the computer posting? ie you hear post beeps when you start is up. You may also want to reseat the ram and pull out any unnessesary hardware.

I already tried resetting the card and the ram with no luck. At my mothers house I dont have any friends close by.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

ouch. strip the system down to the bare essentials. cpu, ram, vid card reseating the ram and vid card to start the troubleshooting prosses. Unfortunately I have had systems fry with powere outages even with a surge protector. I use battery backups now.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, I have no clue what the hell I did but now when I turn it on it powers up the monitor and then asks if I want to boot in normal, safe ect. After choosing start up normal the screen clears and then goes black. The monitor is still on and recieving signal but all it shows is black. And the mouse and such still are NOT lighting up. I'm getting pretty upset over this

Edit: NOT lighting up 8D
Old 11-29-2005, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

Can you boot to disk ?
Can you access Safemode ?

Do you know if this machine was powered on when this power outtage occured ?