Computer Starts but Error on HDD Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sssoaring

Beta member
Hi all,

I went through the read first sticky but that didn't really get me an answer that i was looking for at this time.

I have NOT recently installed any new hardware to the computer.

THe problem is as follows:
When the computer starts up, it does everything right (detecting all the hardware and all) and after the initial screen, it loads a few more things and then it goes through the boot list. It recognises theres no CD ROM and moves onto the HDD. This is where the problem is. It stays in this position trying to boot from the HDD for a while but it's just not happening.

I know there is no problem with the HDD because i ran Ubuntu through the CD and i could still access all my HDD Data.

I've tried changing the boot process so HDD comes first before CDROM and it doesn't go to CDROM in the first place like this so thats ruled out.
There was another option on BIOS to ignore all errors. This didn't help.

Initially, i was on the computer. A handheld drill was being used in the room next to mine and on the initial rev was when my computer went. They COULD be connected but i don't know. I have a surge protector and my computer still works and my monitor is fine so i don't think anything is burnt.

After the computer turned off from the possible rev of the drill, the computer automatically re-started and this is when the inevitable non-boot HDD started.

Any help to resolve this problem is really appreciated.

While Ubuntu isn't bad, i'd like to access my Windows through the normal boot proccess.

Help appreciated

Thanks

p.s. i'm sorry if this was mentioned somewhere else. Couldn't find anything

No problem. And welcome to TF!

I think you have something corrupted on your Windows partition. Do you know how to do a repair install and/or have the XP CD?

Hi,

Don't know how to do a repair and Install. Any guides on this on the internet?

I do have the XP CD.

Will any of these processes cause me to loose all my programs and other Data?

Thanks

Just got some further information.

A friend said that the drill from the next room could've caused vibrations that could've stuffed up the HDD. Since i can access files on HDD, it might've stuffed up the boot sector of it. Best way is to re-install XP on it.

Can someone back up this idea please. Is there anyway for me to re-install XP or do something so i can fix up the boot process while still keeping my files (especially the programs on "Program Files").

Thanks

You can do a repair install as I have said.

You boot up with the XP CD, let it run its course, on the options menu, press enter, when it finds the drive and says you already have a XP partition on there, type R for a repair install. It will run you through the setup again. It only touches system files. Your personal files are safe.

Thanks for that.

Will try that out once all my files are backed up and let you know how i go.

Thanks

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :big_grin::big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

Thanks very very very much MoM. To what other people said, i would've done a full re-install of windows without trying the recovery option.

What happened is that as the person said, the boot Record was screwed.

I went into the recovery console and tried the "FIXBOOT" option but that didn't do anything. I went back in and tried that once more and in teh same time, i tried the "FIXMBR" (Fix Master Boot Record) option and on the re-boot, it worked fine. I know microsoft doesn't recommend this but i had no option.

Thanks very much for your help. It's much appreciated. :big_grin::big_grin::big_grin::big_grin::big_smile:

Thank you ;)

Years of using XP finally pays off... I used to do that ALL the time when I was an intern at a computer repair shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom