Computer starts back up when shutdown and sleep issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2014, 05:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Computer starts back up when shutdown and sleep issue

Ever since I built this PC, when I click shutdown by the start menu it shuts down for a second then reboots until I shut it down a second time. LAN setting is disabled in BIOS to disable wake up from it, and the power button is set to shutdown. I also disabled all other devices from waking up computer. Also when I try putting my computer in sleep mode, it will also start right back up to the resuming windows mode, as it normally does when starting a computer up from sleep mode, this button is set to sleep. Any ideas please tell me. Thank you all in advance.

Quinting22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Computer starts back up when shutdown and sleep issue

Reboot it into safemode and see if it loops from there. If it doesn't then you might have a software conflict

Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you, will try.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I put it in safe mode, it stayed shutdown. Do you know which driver/software causes this?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

could be anything.
A while back ago pc's would loop like that if you had Nero and Roxio software on your pc at the same time. It could be that your running more than one antivirus/firewall too.
Type in "msconfig" without the quotes in your desktop search, open that to the start tab, disable each item in the start one at a time and reboot to see if it loops, Take note of each program and the program you disable when it stops is the program causing the issue.
Running antimalware is a good idea too, download, update and do a full scan of your pc with Malwarebytes
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote