Computer Started Freezing Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spinrite is the best out there though...worth the few bucks if you use it a lot. EricB will back me up one that one.

Hi, back again, ran those tests to no avail, everything comes out alright.

I downgraded my nvidia driver to one released in october,

I also put +.01 to FSB, Memory and PCI-E, and set my core to 1.27 (stock is 1.225)

I replaced my power strip with a new 40 dollar one

It was good for a few days (2 days)

then today, when i was scrolling fast through forums (like this one), it froze on me again

If it were a part that was broken, what part do you guys think it would be?

Thanks,

Will

It's getting into more difficult territory now. I would start testing your PSU and CPU. PSU the easiest way is to use another one. CPU you can download CPU Stability Test and run that for at least 2 hours.

It's getting into more difficult territory now. I would start testing your PSU and CPU. PSU the easiest way is to use another one. CPU you can download CPU Stability Test and run that for at least 2 hours.

Thanks, Is the cpu test you suggested anything special compared to orthos stress test?

I've run "blend" CPU and RAM stress for 18 hours with no problems, should I still use the cpu test you suggested?

Thanks

No this runs the CPU at 100% stress non-stop. Other tests mostly test RAM with a little bit of CPU usage.

Fat.Clown has a good question too. Not only with that chipset but any. Many wireless cards including ones from D-Link and Belkin freeze computers.

Ok i'll try the cpu stress tonight,

No i dont use wireless connections, however i do use Sophos Antivirus which I feel is a little unstable, I just replaced it with AVGFree, I'll see how that goes.

I am going to switch the DDR2 ram into Kingston 2GB instead of the Gskill 4gb I had, im thinking maybe there is some sort of incompatibility? or is that not possible...

My power supply is about 3 years old, but its a Antec NEO which is pretty decent quality... I think that will be the first thing I replace if I start going piece by piece. I'm thinking about a Corsair 750 Watt one so I can upgrade later.

I could be the RAM but pretty unlikely. It doesn't matter how good the quality of the PSU is after about 3 years the capacitors start getting pretty worn and can start to fail.

I could be the RAM but pretty unlikely. It doesn't matter how good the quality of the PSU is after about 3 years the capacitors start getting pretty worn and can start to fail.

really, is that true about the power supply? I didnt know that. Is the power supply failure after 3 years like a certain thing (after certain amount of time)?

In any Case, should I get this power supply:

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I'm never going to run more than 1 vid card, but will probably upgrade vid cards in another year or so, is 610 good? Or do I need 750w?

Thanks!

No no. Nothing is ever certain with computers ;). It's just much more likely a PSU problem since it isn't only say 6 months old.

PC P&C is one of the best in PSU companies even now that OCZ took them over :). 610W should be fine for your setup. You seem to know quite a bit about computers. You should stick around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom