Computer shutting itself down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's more of, the PSU not being able to push his rig any more. No name brand PSU, and his rig works fine with basic tests of the CPU/RAM, but when he does something that is both CPU and GPU intensive, it powers down.

Also, to answer a previous question by OP, a computer will throttle your processor down or up in order to save electricity and produce less heat when not in heavy use.

I wouldn't recommend testing the power supply with a multimeter unless your experienced, if done improperly you could damage components or worst still you could cause serious bodily injury or death.

I would start by turning the PC off and removing the side panel exposing the parts. Then I would restart the PC and listen for any odd noises and locate them if present. While your that close to the PC make a visual inspection of all the fans, for proper operation. If the PC is dusty you should clean it out with compressed air (with the PC turned off and unplugged). Once Windows is loaded you should download HWMonitor, install the program and start it up. Leave HWMonitor running for a few minutes while you start a game, play it for a minute or two and quit before the PC shuts itself off. When your back to the desktop take a screenshot of the HWMonitor window and post it in this thread. Here's a how-to guide on posting screenshots if you need it.
Screenshot Tutorial

While the PC is still running touch the power supply, is it hot? Does it have a fan and is the fan running?

I'm terribly sorry about the late response, I just got off work. So, I just recently did open up my case and clean it out with compressed air, all of the fans are running. 2 in the back, one on the side, and one on the front. The GPU, CPU, and PSU fans are all working. I've cleaned them all out not too long ago. I did open the case to make sure nothing was clogged up with dirt. I'm going to post a before and after screenshot of me gaming on ArmA 2.

Before:
7GXp4.png

A few minutes into ArmA 2 (where I believe it will crash soon):
fwcp7.png

Also, I've noticed something is odd about HWmonitor, it's missing stuff, or is it supposed to be like that?

Note: I am running EVGA Precision to make the fans run 100% speed, I do that when I game, all fans are turned up as high as possible.

She held for a few minutes longer, with rather terrible FPS on the games benchmarking (not like I expect any different), and then bam, instant shutdown, no warnings, no errors. The only way to start my pc back up is to turn off the psu from the back switch, unplug it, and then plug it back in a few seconds later, switch on, and power on. :/

Note: Not that I think this has anything to do with it. Everest Ultimate is saying that my GPU Clock is 738 MHz, original was 740 MHz. Also, I just noticed my video drivers were a little out of date, so I am updating. HOWEVER, as previously stated, I've reformatted twice since this occurrence, as it's been going on for a while now, I just haven't had the time to get it solved. In those past times, I know for sure the video drivers were up to date.

Okay, sorry for posting so much, you guys might be irritated. After the last crash HWMonitor picked up everything. So I am going to update the video drivers, get a screenshot of before, during, and after if feasible.

So, I did update drivers, and turned up my fans as usual (I have tried without the fans turned up), this time as soon as I started my game my computer shut down, however I did get a screenshot of HWmonitor before starting.

j2vDA.png

The thing is, we are wanting to see the minimum and maximum for when your in game, which I am going to say, I am 99.99% positive it is a PSU failure... Try running some CPU intensive applications, and see what happens in HWMonitor, nothing GPU intensive.

Could you give me an example, please?

Actually, I'm going to try the stress test for CPU that comes with Everest.

Okay, after running a CPU Stress Test with Everest that made my CPU usage constantly 100% Usage for 10 straight minutes, my computer is still up and running with no issue, here are HW results after the stress test.

sQhnL.png

Will do, I did some Team FOrtress 2 earlier, played a few rounds, gpu temp only went up to about 114 degrees (bare in mind fans were on full blast), got off for a while, started it back up and tried to play, it crashed again. With Prime95 does it test GPU?

I just took out the card again and cleaned with compressed air again, I did this just a few weeks ago. The temperature it is currently at is 47 degrees celcius, sometimes 2 degrees lower, which is 116 degrees f. Oddly enough, it was around 113-114 area until I put the side with the fan back on. However, whenever I game I run EVGA Precision (I dont overclock) I just turn the gpu fan to 100% which typically cools it down really well. I think all leads to GPU issue or PSU issue. Because all stress tests work except for GPU.

As soon as I crank up my gpu fan it goes down to 41 degrees celcius or so.

I have been playing TF2 for around 30 minutes or so, the temps are still around 40 degrees C, the highest it has gotten is 52 degrees celcius.

With all of this in mind, I am gearing away from the probability of heating as an issue. I remember hearing somewhere that if I were really having heating issues with the GPU, I'd be experiencing more slowdowns and my FPS would be dropping on and off, or at least constantly, but that isn't happening here, perfect FPS, everything fine until it suddenly just shuts down (which hasn't happened yet to my surprise) thus I am onto some ArmA 2 to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom