Computer Shutting Down Randomly - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer Shutting Down Randomly

Hey All,

I am having trouble figuring out what is going on with my PC.
Basically it shuts down after getting into games (League of Legends, Skyrim) after a few seconds. It has started to shut down while I am just browsing the web at random times it seems, sometimes hours of browsing and sometimes just after I start up the PC.

Originally I thought my video card was going bad, because I was able to run 3DMark stress tests on my CPU for hours on end, while the Graphics tests would shut down the PC after 15 second or so.

I ran memtest overnight (about 14 hours) with no errors or shutdowns which tells me that RAM is ok and the controller in my CPU is functioning fine as far as I can tell.
I also ran a GPU mem stress test through a bootable disk program that was recommended to me (Ultimate Boot CD, which consists of DOS programs like memtest) which was able to run for 3 hours with no errors or shutdowns.

I have a suspicion that possibly my PSU might be going bad or not supplying enough amperage but all in all im not sure what to do anymore.

I have no cooling problems, I have posted below current idle temps. (MAX temps on CPU have never been over 60c, 65c for GPU)

CPU - 30c
HDD - 29c
GPU - 37c
MOBO - 29c

This is what I have running in the system - All stock speeds.

AMD Phenom II X4 965
Asus M4N98TD EVO
Nvidia GTX Geforce 560 ti
12gb Patriot 1600Mhz DDR3
2 500gb Western Digital SATA Drives
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850w PSU

If I am missing anything let me know, your help is appreciated!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Grinch
Default Re: Computer Shutting Down Randomly

Well, you have stressed your RAM, and CPU, but your not stressing them all at a single time. What does HWMonitor show for your voltages when the system is under full load?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

That is the problem now, if i try to stress the full system it will just shut off in a matter of seconds.
It has been getting worse over time. 2 weeks ago or so, I could run 3Dmark with no issues. I cant give exact voltages but it didn't look out of the ordinary then.

as of now +5v is sitting steady at 5.03, +12v steady at 12.22. CPU at 0.99v and the min and max values are 0.99v - 1.38v
Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Grinch

Download HWMonitor from first
Second, run something like Prime95 to stress your CPU while HWMonitor is running.
Report the voltages/temps.
Then run GPU stress tests using 3dmark while HWMonitor is open.
Report voltages/temps again.

I can only think it is your PSU, but would like to rule out other potential issues, such as potential power phase being bad on your mobo, though you have 8 phases compared to more common 4 phase for AMD systems.

Also, are you using 4 pin or 8 pin for your CPU? The board supports 8 pin for stability purposes, though it looks like it can get by on 4 pin.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Thumbs up Re: Computer Shutting Down Randomly

I think it may be overheating problem. If it is not cooling problem then check for virus. You can check your SMPS. because my i had also computer automatically shutting down problem. but it was solved by changing SMPS. Try it.
Closed Thread