Computer shutting down on BF2142

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
Hi, I'm experiencing major problems during BF2142. Sometimes when I die or when a game finishes, the game will just boot me out to my desktop, and shut off. It is very frustrating when my friends say "why do you always disconnect?"

Yesterday, I went to ATI.com to get the most recent drivers for my Sapphire x1950PRO 256mb, and the problem seems to have gotten worse. Now, my computer will actually shut off completly every now and then during the game. And, I will notice major artifacting problems in-game, such as terrain landscapes not loading. It will just be different shades of gray and black.

I think I'm just going to download driver cleaner pro and put on my original drivers that came with the card. At least my computer wouldn't f*ckin crash with those....

Now I'm starting to see why there all these horrid reviews for this card on newegg.

When I restart my program, it'll say "Windows has recovered from a serious error." Then I'll click "Deatails" and it will tell me it was a driver problem. So I'm going to use driver cleaner I guess. I just downloaded it and the readme is not helpful.

It says:

ATI:
1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect
2. Remove ATI driver from add/remove programs then remove the control panel from add/remove programs

Remove ATI driver? When I go into add/remove programs, I see nothing that says "ATI driver" I see:

ATI- Software Uninstall Utility
ATI Catlalyst Control Center
ATI MCE Transcode
ATI MCE control panel
ATI Problem Report Wizard
AVIVO Codecs (had a ATI logo next to it...)

Which of those should I remove? And what does it mean "remove control panel from add/remove programs?"

*plays some more BF2142. 10 minutes later, vid card crashes and reboots entire pc*. You know, this would be honestly the best game I've ever played if this card could remain stable at stock speeds for half an hour...jeez

Well I seem to have fixed it. I wiped everything ATI related using Windows Control Panel and clicking "remove driver". That uninstalled everything. Then I went to www.sapphiretech.com and downloaded the 8.321.0.0 driver and CCC. I could only play BF2142 for about 20 min because I need to catch up on sleep for school tomorrow, but it was smooth and stable as can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom