Computer shutting down

PiDi<3

Beta member
Hi i am new here so i hope i am putting this in the right place if not i do apoligize.

The reason i am writing this is because i have found myself in a little bit of a situation, in 2011 i bought a stationary pc and a couple of days ago it turned off randomly, i then cleaned it out and took out all the cables and reconnected them. This made the cimputer work for about 30 minutes and it shut down again, i did it alla gain and this time it worked for about 3 days same thing happened total shut down.

When i repeated the reset of all cables, this time, it did not work. My first thought would be that the power supply unit have died, i then just find it weird that i can still turn on the pc and all the fans are running smoothly it just never really boots further than turning on. It is not my screen i ahve tested it with my laptop and it is working fine.

Here are the specs:
Graphics card: MSI GTX 560 m. opimized cooling (1 GB)

CPU: Cooler Master Hyper TX3

RAM: Corsair/Kingston 4 GB DDR3, 1333 Mhz (DUAL)

Primary Harddisc
Samsung 1000 GB, 7200rpm

PSU: Corsair GS700

Hope you guys can help!

Is there any way to check for sure if it is actually the power supply that is the problem?

Yes, replacing it with a different PSU and see if the problem persists. That is the best and most efficient way.

But I wouldn't blame the PSU just yet. It could also be an overheating issue.

So lets say the PSU is fine, how do i check if it is overheating and more importantly fix it ? And can i check for a short ?

I am guessing you would suggest taking it to a professional technician and have them take a look?

So lets say the PSU is fine, how do i check if it is overheating and more importantly fix it ? And can i check for a short ?

I am guessing you would suggest taking it to a professional technician and have them take a look?

You can try maxing out the CPU and GPU to increase temperatures. Use Coretemp and MSI Afterburner Kobuster to maximize CPU and GPU load then check the temperatures using
HWMonitor.

You didn't really specify what your parts were to begin with, but to test for a short you take the board out of the case and lay it on a piece of cardboard.

First thing's first though, unplug your HDDs and reseat your RAM to see if this is causing a fail to post. If you have an IGP (video ports on the motherboard) then take the GPU out too.

Back
Top Bottom