computer shuts off and won't turn on for about 15mins by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxima00

Beta member
Computer will shut off randomly and won't turn back on for about 15 mins until it turns on by itself. Don't think it's overheating because one, the case side is off and the fans can be turned up, keeping the motherboard or cpu or whatever around 53 degrees or less and I have never had any problems before this. My friends think it's either the power supply or the MB. I was looking for some sort of diagnostic software where I could check both. What's going on??

Post all components.
When did this problem Begin?
Have you added any New hardware as of late?
Was the computer recently moved or Bumped?
Was there any power surges near the computer?
What have you tried So far?

2700 AMD
450watt Antec Power Supply
128mb Radeon 9800 pro
512mb Ram
Some crappy sound card

Had some wind storms recently where the power flickered and shut off my computer once but that was like 2 or 3 days before the problem started

Might have bumped a little bit because I was moving it around a bit.

Swapped in a nvidia 6600 for a bit seeing if I could notice a difference running Total War and switched back a few times

Well, I tried checking the harddrive and putting the 9800 pro back in. switching the power from a power switch to just plugging it into the wall. Can't think of anything else really.

Its Probbaly RAM or Motherboard. To test motherboard you will have to swap it out. Yea I know, Difficult. For RAM you can swap out or google and run memtest.
Really the only thing you can try is swapping out components until you find the bad one.

Like others have posted, it could be motherboard or ram, or even powersupply.

Personally, I would start with the power supply. That is the first entry of any electrical disturbance and the PS could have taken the hit or whatever spike you may have had. Plus a power supply is easier to swap out than the motherboard. Of course RAM is the easiest. But the P/S is probably the cheapest, and you might even have one lying around that would fit.

I had a similar problem and swapped out the P/S and it worked fine after that. Something in the P/S was failing after being on for a while.

Good luck

ok, I'll see what I can do by switching out the parts and I am familiar with the memtest so that should help out a bit. Switching out the motherboard...what a pain lol :eek:

Could an Antec P/S (came with my Antec Sonata 1 case) go bad after around a year? Wouldn't think so, but hey who knows. Not sure how old the motherboard is.

maxima00 said:
Could an Antec P/S (came with my Antec Sonata 1 case) go bad after around a year? Wouldn't think so, but hey who knows. Not sure how old the motherboard is.

Antec makes good power supplies, but like any piece of hardware, it's susceptible to being damaged. Even though it's a good brand, I wouldn't rule it out for being damaged. A spike can damage even the best quality stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom