Computer shuts off while playing CS:S

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_sharks86

Baseband Member
Hey, I am new around here and have been having problems with computer while playing Counter-Stike: Source. This is a long story, so bear with me, here it goes.

So I bought this computer from Cyberpower Inc. back in February, one day back in June my computer just randomly turns off while booting and won't come back on, I call Cyber and they tell me it is a faulty power supply, so I send in comp and they fix it. So I am about to play CS:S, thinking everything is fixed when the computer suddenly shuts off. Now I could get the computer to come back on by unplugging power from motherboard and re-plugging it back in. This random turn off is like a shut down if you were holding the power button, no freezing or hanging or anything, really smooth. My computer can run all day and never turns off, I even played Call of Duty 2 for about 2 hours with no problems, I tried DOD Source and the same problem happened that happens with CS Source. I don't think it is overheating because I have 3 fans running, a heatsink on my graphics card and cpu my computer cpu temp is always in the 30s or 40s. I reinstalled the vid card drivers, old drivers, restoring the comp, reinstalling steam. I doubt it could be power supply because it is 500W and it just got replaced. I also went from having the power plugged into a power stick thing with 5 outlets to its own outlet on the wall. So basically I am out of ideas and thinking it could be memory now. Any help is much appreciated, thanks. If anyone has more questions or wants to talk in detail, my AIM screenname is sjsharksfan86.

My computer specs:
- Intel P4 3.4ghz
- 1GB of Corsair RAM
- 120gb Seagate HDD
- nvidia 256mb GeForce 6800xt PCI Express
- Windows XP Home
- Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2

open up the side of your PC and look for a label on the PSU that should contain information about how many amps each rail (IE 12, 5v, 3.3v) is capable of delivering. If you could please post that information

Also, what brand is the power supply?

After you've done that google a program called Prime95 and download and install it. Open it up and run the torture test with Large In-Place FTTs for a decent couple of hours and make sure it does not error. You may also want to download memtest86 and load it onto a bootable floppy and let it loop for a few hours and make sure it doesn't error

NZXT PF-500 500WATT

Here is the amp information:

DC Output - +3.3V, +5V, +12V1, +12V2, -12V, +5VB

AC Input - 115V - 10A 60Hz, 230V - 5A 50Hz

Max A - 34A, 40A, 16A, 17A, 0.8A, 2.5A

I didn't includ this in my first post, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA 81915p Duo.

Those two programs you suggested are WINRAR.ZIP, do I need to download something for those.

Your power supply seems ok, but I can't be sure of the actual quality of the manufacturer as I don't have enough experience with their PSUs. If it says anywhere on the same label what the MAX output is you should be able to figure it out. If it is 500w it isn't very good, but if it's say 600w then you should be ok

By max output I mean the total amount of power in can churn out in a specific timeframe, for example, since it is a 500w PSU it should be able to deliver a 24/7 output of 500w and say a 60 second sustained max output of 600w, however if it has a 60 second sustained max output of 500w it isn't a true 500w PSU as it's sustained 24/7 output may only be 400w

If the file is something.zip it should be able to be extracted with windows, but if it is something.rar you'll need to download winrar which is freeware

Ya, I downloaded the programs but couldn't figure out how to extract them, I even downloaded Winrar, but it was to no avail.

Would you suggest taking out the sticks of ram and trying different slots, or turning off the temp warning thing in the BIOS?

gaara said:
Your power supply seems ok, but I can't be sure of the actual quality of the manufacturer as I don't have enough experience with their PSUs. If it says anywhere on the same label what the MAX output is you should be able to figure it out. If it is 500w it isn't very good, but if it's say 600w then you should be ok

By max output I mean the total amount of power in can churn out in a specific timeframe, for example, since it is a 500w PSU it should be able to deliver a 24/7 output of 500w and say a 60 second sustained max output of 600w, however if it has a 60 second sustained max output of 500w it isn't a true 500w PSU as it's sustained 24/7 output may only be 400w

If the file is something.zip it should be able to be extracted with windows, but if it is something.rar you'll need to download winrar which is freeware

Why is 500W not very good? You won't even use that much unless you run a large WC system or run two videocards or something.

Well while I was running Prime95, my computer shut off the same way it does while playing CS: Source, the temp on the led was 82. So now I believe it is overheating, so I went into the BIOS and turned off the temperature warning thing and I reversed my side panel fan, so that it blows air into comp.

you might want to keep temp warnings on, cause if the CPU (or whatever that one is, especially the CPU) overheates it will fry, although if its the video card, it has a higher tolerance the the CPU.

Do you have any fans in the front of the case? if so have them set to pull air in, and the back panel fan to pull air out, also check and see if the PSU (power supply) has any fans on the bottom and see if iit is pulling air up, if so it should be pulling air away from the CPU.

and...if you can play COD2 for 2 hours, it's probably steam not agreeing with something in your computer

I will turn the temp warning back on, I do not have any fans in the fron t of my computer, one on side panel, one on top and one in back. Yes, my psu does have a fan and why wouldn't it be pulling air away, is there anyway I can switch the fan on the psu if for some reason it isn't pulling air away from the cpu.

Should my fans on the side and on top of the case be pulling air in or out?

Anyone think this could be a RAM or video card related problem?

My video card has no cord from the psu going into the card, but the fan is going and everything, could it be my vid card isn't getting enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom