computer shuts off itself - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default computer shuts off itself

My computer(my other one, not this one)for some weird reason will keep shutting off on it's own and it usually does it when I click the mouse on something, say like sending a an email or submitting something. And it won't turn on unless I turn off the power from the back and turn it back on. This happened once before too and then I changed the mouse from the regular mouse port to a usb port and it was ok for months and now it's doing it again. I cleaned out the dust in the computer, power supply and it didn't help. So I don't know what the problem could be, I'm guessing it could be the power supply.

Windows xp
800 mhz intel III
256 ram
The computer is over 6 years old.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: computer shuts off itself

try and re-apply some thermal paste to the heatsink/fan. sometimes the thermal paste can get crusty and pretty much stop doing its job, as most things do over time.

also if it happens with the mouse try a different mouse. I don't know why it would do that, it would be quite a weird issue if that's the case, but it could be the fix.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n

Quote:
The computer is over 6 years old.
Could be a factor.

Maybe as you said a faulty psu
Old 12-31-2007, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

could be, also some motherboards have an automatic shutdown if it senses the processor is getting to hot. does it shut off, like properly, or does it just "shut down" give you the blank screen, and such. does it have a CPU fan? i know a lot of those pentium 3s were slot type and had no fan, i have one myself, but if its a socket type, it may be the fan. I had an old HP computer ive had for about 4 years, and if the motherboard senses the heat sink fan isnt plugged in or is malfunctioning it will shut the computer down automatically to avoid a reheat. a lot of motherboards will do that in fact. so check that. also swap out another PSU if you can, but part of me is saying CPU fan.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

It just shuts down, not properly. I have a heatsink fan, but I don't see a cpu fan. But don't you think having to turn the power switch off in the back then on again to get the computer to turn on seems strange? That's why I think it must be the PSU.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

sounds like a possible case to me to. by the way heatsinkfan/cpu fan are the same thing in my book, dont know what others define them as. when it shuts down-is there any lights on, and can you hear anything running at all?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

No, there is no noise at all when it shuts down and I didn't notice any lights on.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

im gonna guess prolly your PSU then.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hellfire!

Send a message via MSN to Wildside

time for an upgrade bud. The ones who still use Pentium III r people who r afraid to upgrade or dont have the budget to upgrade or get a whole new computer, im so glad i rebuilt mine!
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Old 01-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
LA1
Super Techie

If someone has not already mentioned it.. possibly the power supply, although I would have to agree with the temp one. Google speed fan and download, will tell you the temp of your processor / hd / chipset