computer shuts off itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekgnr

Baseband Member
My computer(my other one, not this one)for some weird reason will keep shutting off on it's own and it usually does it when I click the mouse on something, say like sending a an email or submitting something. And it won't turn on unless I turn off the power from the back and turn it back on. This happened once before too and then I changed the mouse from the regular mouse port to a usb port and it was ok for months and now it's doing it again. I cleaned out the dust in the computer, power supply and it didn't help. So I don't know what the problem could be, I'm guessing it could be the power supply.

Windows xp
800 mhz intel III
256 ram
The computer is over 6 years old.

try and re-apply some thermal paste to the heatsink/fan. sometimes the thermal paste can get crusty and pretty much stop doing its job, as most things do over time.

also if it happens with the mouse try a different mouse. I don't know why it would do that, it would be quite a weird issue if that's the case, but it could be the fix.

could be, also some motherboards have an automatic shutdown if it senses the processor is getting to hot. does it shut off, like properly, or does it just "shut down" give you the blank screen, and such. does it have a CPU fan? i know a lot of those pentium 3s were slot type and had no fan, i have one myself, but if its a socket type, it may be the fan. I had an old HP computer ive had for about 4 years, and if the motherboard senses the heat sink fan isnt plugged in or is malfunctioning it will shut the computer down automatically to avoid a reheat. a lot of motherboards will do that in fact. so check that. also swap out another PSU if you can, but part of me is saying CPU fan.

It just shuts down, not properly. I have a heatsink fan, but I don't see a cpu fan. But don't you think having to turn the power switch off in the back then on again to get the computer to turn on seems strange? That's why I think it must be the PSU.

sounds like a possible case to me to. by the way heatsinkfan/cpu fan are the same thing in my book, dont know what others define them as. when it shuts down-is there any lights on, and can you hear anything running at all?

time for an upgrade bud. The ones who still use Pentium III r people who r afraid to upgrade or dont have the budget to upgrade or get a whole new computer, im so glad i rebuilt mine!

If someone has not already mentioned it.. possibly the power supply, although I would have to agree with the temp one. Google speed fan and download, will tell you the temp of your processor / hd / chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom