computer shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

El loco

In Runtime
This morning my comp was working fine, however since this afternoon my computer has been shutting down by itself. It only seems to happen when I try to play the battlefield 2 demo. When the map starts to load (single or multiplayer,)the computer shuts down.
I opened the computer up and cleaned all the dust, but didn't get to clean the graphic card's fan cos I have to literally take everything apart in order get to it.

anyways, any1 has any idea what it is?
Is there a program that lets me see the temperature of my processor/graphic to see if they are overheating or something?
or what could be causing it to shut down.

ok I think I found the problem. It seems to be the power supply cos it is really hot. (the fan doesn't seem to be working)
and after I let it cool I can play normally.
the power supply is a HP 5188-2755 108 watt. The cheapest one I have found in the web costs $115!!!
WTf?

Anyways, can anyone help find the fan this ps needs?

Are you joking? A 108W PSU? That's nuts. Replace it with any PSU with the correct number of pins (20/24) as required by your board, and ensure you get any SATA power required, probably a P4 connector too.

Don't worry about making a direct swap, because that's a dreadfully pathetic PSU.

Also, judging by that Wattage, you've got a fairly old system. Now, either you've tried to upgrade the graphics, memory, whatever - in order to play this demo. Or, you're trying to run it on an old machine. Either are a bad idea, because you have an underrated PSU, poor cooling, and simply not enough 'oomph' to play such games.

My friend is a *******(he was using my acct to post). I checked his pc and everything (cooling wise) seems to be working properly.
His computer is a hp pavilion slimeline s7600e
amd anthlon (tm) 64 x2 dual core processor 3800+ 2GHz
1G ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE (Omega 2.169.21) (GeForce 6150 LE)'
windows Xp pro

and he has ran the demo perfectly in the past; he has been playing for quite some time now.

I checked the event viewer and when the computer shuts down it gets this event(well one event 2002, other 2003 but same info).

type:
Information
date:
2/2/2008
time:
10:20:08 pm
Source:
EAPOL
category:
none
event:
User:
n/a
Computer:
Jim's comp

Description
The description for Event ID ( 2002 ) in Source ( EAPOL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt..

Not exactly sure what this event means.

any1 know what this event is?

also, what's the normal idle temperature for this cpu?
Right now it is running at 43C and I have notice that when he starts up the game the temperature rises pretty fast to 50+. But the fans are working, so I don't get what exactly is happening.

If it's not the PSU then it might be the Games' DLL files which is meshing with the systems components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom