computer screen scramble/glitch, imminent failure, read on and help pls - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default computer screen scramble/glitch, imminent failure, read on and help pls

Sooo... I moved into a new apt. Much like moving into the last something inevitably fooked up on my puter. Last time a power surge took out a hard drive. This time, I think it was a magnet. I had a small 9 inch television on my desk next to my tower. The speaker on the tv was on its side, next to my tower, where my drive would be. Stupid me. I didn't think til it was too late.

but I'm not sure if it's the drive that was messed up by that, or anything, or if the tv had anything to do with it. First of all, when things started messing up the screen would get all glitchy/scrambly looking and freeze. I'd restarted, things would be fine for a while, then it'd happen again. I thought it was the heat, it's been real hot here. Then it happened and windows would no longer boot. I figured it was the drive, so I bought a new one. I moved the tv way away from my desk, installed the drive, went to install windows...and it did the same thing again. Glitch/scramble then freeze, and ... yuh. That's my problem. It wont go without doing this long enough for me to reinstall windows. What could it possibly be? I can get to my bios and everything. It'll boot normally. ...then shortly there after glitch

What could it beee?

Old 07-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I don't think its the monitor. Try to set your Bios to default for starters. Have you checked to make sure everything is plugged in good? Anything get knocked loose? What I usually do if I cant find the problem I take everything out of the tower like all the plug in cards the ram cables And CPU if your comfortable doing that and reinstall everything. Just ground yourself before working inside your computer.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to FlashDude

For sure check to see if there is anything that came loose, specifically the video card and ram. Take them out and reinstall them.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Your hard drive would have to be placed in a MRI uint before data would be corrupted...it ain't the TV. All the above suggestions are good ones!
Old 07-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I made sure everything was plugged in. I managed to get through a windows installation, then while setting stuff back up it happened again. I noticed my processor was only running at 1.2ghz, though. It should've been running at 2.4. I've a p4c2.4 w/HT. I'm still at a loss. I'm starting to considering splurging roughly $200 bucks to replace the video card/processor/mobo.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I think you just need to up you FSB clock speed. To get to your p4c2.4.

Closed Thread