Computer running extremely slow on Windows 7 Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
ide speeds wouldn't account for the time frame he's describing here and i'm not sure what you meant by the second part.

MindoverMaster: Is it possible to do a BIOS update when I cannot physically log in to Windows? As you can see in my specs above, I just bought the motherboard and haven't even installed the software cd that came with it because I am unable to get to/install Windows 7. :S

baih777: At first, I used the Windows 7 RTM. When that expired I purchased Windows 7 Professional from Digital River (I am a college student). I downloaded the digital copy and was sent a DVD for troubleshooting purposes (does that answer your question about 'which windows 7 version are you using?) Is this important? And yes I am selecting the custom install. Also, I am using an ide cd drive.

DBB2010: I tried loading the fail safe option. It didn't work. I will try removing the unnecessary parts and attempt again. I really don't know how to flash the BIOS (what is the point of that?). I do assume that everything is compatible. I did my research before buying everything.

flashing the bios is basically updating the bios, it's done before windows loads. you'll find very specific directions about how on your mobo manufacturer's website.

Hello all:

Here is an update on my computer problems...

I am trying to start up windows 7 pro on the original hard drive (not the new 500gig that I just installed it on). It is a 1TB hard drive that already has many programs and files on it. On startup, it wanted me to do start-up repair. So I did, hoping that it would find something. But, all it tells me is "attempting repairs" with that little blue working bar going from one side of the screen to the other. Finally something comes up saying that this problem cannot be repaired automatically and then proceeds to tell me to contact the manufacturer of this computer. It restarts and this whole problem starts all over. I am currently in the process of running the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool. Do you guys think it could be a memory related problem? Because I'm not to sure since my memory worked fine on the previous motherboard.

Again, here are the specs of my build (since I don't have a signature yet lol):

* Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case to replace casing from stock case off the Dell XPS Gen 5 computer
* EVGA nForce 730i GeForce 9300 Socket 775 MB to replace stock motherboard off a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5 computer (Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5 Motherboard GC068)
* Ultra LSP750 750w Power Supply
* Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz 6M to replace the stock Processor, 80547, Pentium 4 Prescott Dt, 640, SKT-T, Male
* ULTRA CHILLTEC AM2/775/I7 CPU COOLER
* Diamond Radeon HD 3850 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI (didn't include this at first because didn't think was necessary. Now I'm not sure)

Thanks

Alright time to clear up a couple things.

1. Win7 RTM is the same version that you bought from Digital River. RTM = Release To Manufacturing. So I am guessing that you meant to say Win7 RC when that expired you bought the final version from Digital River.

2. I see you replaced the mobo from the Dell. I see you also replaced the CPU. Are you 110% positive that the RAM is what is needed that you had in the Dell?

3. Do you have all the plugs in from the PSU into the system and GFX card if necessary?

The only thing i can think of on why this is happening is because you are not using proper RAM.

Mak213:
To question #1: yes, that is correct
To question #2: yes I made it a point to be sure that the RAM would work in the motherboard I was going to buy. If it didn't (at least in my experience) the screen wouldn't show anything, much less Windows trying to startup.
To question #3: yes I have all the necessary plugs plugged into the correct ports
When I bought the mobo I made sure that it would accept the type of RAM that I already have which is "Kingston 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz CL5" I have 4 sticks of the totaling 8 gigs. The stats on the mobo said that those sticks would work in it. Also, in the past i've run into a problem with RAM not being compatible with a motherboard, thus nothing would show up on the screen. I will check the stats of the mobo again to be extra sure but I am positive that the RAM is compatible with the mobo. Any other suggestions?
Jason

Hello all:

I was reading the documentation related to my motherboard and ran into this:

"Your new motherboard has four 240-pin slots for DDR2-800 memory. These
slots support 256 MB, 512 MB,1 GB, and 2Gb DDR2. There must be at least
one memory bank populated to ensure normal operation. Use the following the
recommendations for installing memory. (See Figure 1 on page 6 for the
location of the memory slots.)"

The part I want to ask about is the DDR2-800 memory. I have DDR2-667. Would/could that be the problem? When it says it takes DDR2-800 memory, is that the minimum speed it will accept?

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom