Computer restarts and shuts down before Windows loads

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason for the "blue screen of death" was, I turned off the auto reboot option and it caused the cpu to crashed. Honestly this is my 3rd day working on this tower and I just forgot were the option to turn the auto reboot was at.

That is because it is restarting from a BSOD, that option keeps the system from restarting. When you press F8 right before windows to load or when it asks for safemode there will be an option to turn restart on error or something similar off.

From microsoft.com:

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

You need to follow those steps and then your computer won't automatically restart. Then the next time it blue screens either the write the important info down that this page shows you:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/decoding-stop-errors-193078/

or take a picture of the screen and post it.

The blue screen data is vital in figuring out why it's crashing.

If it boots off of a live CD, but not the hard drive, if very well could be the hard drive itself. The hard drive worked in another computer, though. Sort of leads me to think that it could be either a motherboard issue with IDE connector/circuitry or a bad cable.

I've updated the bios and I've been using Winternals 2005 as a boot CD, with which, iv'e done a system recovery with the cd. I am getting the "NTLDR is missing error" still. I've replaced the "ntldr and ntdetect.com" files and still getting the rebooting problem. Therefore, I gave up on the "ntldr fix" and decided to start testing the hardware in my other tower. I took out my HD, Memory, Graphics Card, Sound Card and placed them all in another tower and it booted up fine. I think the MOB is the source of the problem.

When a CPU is experiencing booting problems like this, is there a good chance it's the MOB?

Is it possible to wipe out your bios and reinstall it?

If so, is this problem fixable?

I'm pretty sure the Mob isn't attacking your computer. They usually have more pressing matters :p. I think you mean mobo.

What you're talking about is called BIOS flashing. That most likely would not fix your problem.

I'm using xp and I don't have an OEM, but I have a system recovery cd that the HP provided. It reboots on me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom