Computer restarts and shuts down before Windows loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxer1028

Solid State Member
I have a HP Media Center m490n Desktop PC. I am experiencing a problem with the bios rebooting before XP sp3 can load. I have tried to a clean install with the OS and during the installation process it reboots. Also, there has been a error message saying... "NTLDR Missing", which I went to this website (Simple "ntldr is missing" fix with boot floppy or CD, then fix HD) to troubleshoot and fix. Through all my troubleshooting, I have come to the conclusion that there is faulty hardware, somewhere in the PC.

I am at my last resort and requesting for some advice on where to begin the process of fixing this computer. Helpful hints or links in the right directions would be much appreciated.

Computer specs>>> Product information HP Media Center m490n Desktop PC

What else have you tried other than a clean OS install? And did you fix the NTLDR missing error or is it still there?

Usually when XP freezes before it even boots means their is a driver problem and doesn't usually have anything to do with faulty hardware. In this case it would be a driver that Windows has already installed itself.

Here's a list of things I have tried:

• Restored the bios to there default settings.
  • Removed and replaced the jumper located near the MB battery, placed it on the first two of three prongs, turned on computer for 60sec, turned it back off restored the jumper back to its original position. This resets the bios, according to one of the troubleshooting threads i viewed.
  • Installed the OS on the same HD, but different CPU, then I put the HD back into the faulty, rebooting CPU and got the same symptoms.
  • As for the NTLDR Fix... The CPU reboot, is preventing me from being able to use the boot CD. I put it in, choose my fix option, then the CD directs me to the "SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE W/ NETWORKING, COMMAND PROMPT, & RESTORE TO ORIGINAL WORKING SETTING" options. From that point I have tried using all of them. I get the reboot.
  • Tried turning off system reboot and it didn't like that. I got a the "Blue Screen of Death", so I turned it back on.

I have an Ubuntu 8.04 live cd. I boot it up and did a memory test. The memory is good.

How do i use the CD to check for defective hardware?

Well, if you booted up and ran Ubuntu, than that'd suggest its a software/driver issue, not hardware.

If your hardware was broken, Ubuntu would have had issues loading

So... Are we going to be getting that bluescreen error code, that could help us pinpoint the problem as it is more on the software side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom