Computer restarts and gets bsod

Status
Not open for further replies.

guwangeowns

Solid State Member
Well i've been troubleshooting this older machine i have for the last two days after work and can't figure out for the life of me what is wrong with it.

specs athlon xp 2800+ barton
2x512 kingston 3200
asus mobo (avx7 something forgot can get if needed)
asus radeon 9600 xt
80 gig hd
nothing great lol

My buddy gave me the machine (he just buys them and plays games on them)
Cause he got a new machine. It seemed like the bsod stopped when i got rid of the video card drivers. Then about 30 minutes after installing new up to date drivers itstarted all over again and it seems if you keep turning the machine on it gets worse and worse restarts more and less time to use the machine.
A few months ago he pulled the card out and sent it to asus and they said there was nothing wrong with the card. I tried using the machine with only 1 stick of ram in it tried them in different slots.

Only thing i can think of is maybe the video card? or cpu or soemthing is overheating? and when it hits the shutdown point it shuts down.
maybe stays hot so when i hit the reset button thats why the bsod reboots get more and more and less time for me to operate the computer.

any advice please, thx in advance.
also incase anyone thinks i might somewhat be right are there any good temp monitoring programs that are free? thx Rich

try getting a screen shot of the BSOD if possible, try looking at the video card slot itself for any clogs of dust, Run memtest on all sticks individually , and run chkdsk on the HD to see if it has any bad sectors causing this

BTW Memtest download is in my sig

well just a update on this heh. I tried putting my psu from my gaming computer in it. I'm still getting the black screen. I get to teh windows xp login screen and then the screen blinks and goes black.

but when i was holding in the power button i happen to look down adn just before i could let go of the button it shut off. It looked like a bunch of nasty blue and silver and colors like that 8-bit graphics stuff on the screen.

as for memtest for some reason i can't get it on to a floppy on my good computer, and my cd drive is toast from a power outage lol. Guess i don't have very good luck.

but with the werid screen stuff i seen. I'm thinking of trying my video card in the machine and see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom