Computer regularly freezing accompanied by whirring/clicking noise - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Angry Computer regularly freezing accompanied by whirring/clicking noise

"Computer is regularly freezing, accompanied by loud mechanical whirring clicking noise from the front half of the computer (NOT the speakers). Likely either from hard drive or optics (CD/DVD drive). In between regular clicking/whirring is occasional singular clicks. Freezing: sometimes computer function maintains during this, i.e. a video will continue to play or I can hover over buttons to change display, however I can almost always use mouse."

That's what I've asked countless other sites but to no avail. Was wondering if anybody here could help me! I'm pretty sure the issue is with a part of the computer in the upper front half as that is where the whirring/clicking is coming from. I feel it might be the Seagate Barracuda hard drive. I recently bought all the parts and assembled this computer myself and it has been working fine, aside from PC Case Gear sending me the WRONG hard drive (ordered and payed for a 3TB, received a 2TB - only found out when I had fully installed everything as the hard drive came in just it's plastic casing and not the box).

Also a new member so if this is somehow not the right forum for this, my apologies.

JFMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Computer regularly freezing accompanied by whirring/clicking noise

As an additional - It has been happening most recently every time I turn on my computer for the past 12 hours, however after about 30mins of being on it seems to have once again subsided for the time being. I know it will happen again though and it frustrates me! It will likely not happen again for between a day and a week or two, but it will happen again.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Clicking and spinning definitely sounds like the hard drive; might be a bad sector or something that it's trying to access.
Run a disk check first I'd say, here's two different methods you can use:
Using Windows: Check your hard disk for errors
Using 3rd party: HDDScan
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks, I'll try that out!