Computer reboots when inserting data cd - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Computer reboots when inserting data cd

So I went to upgrade my home computer with windows XP, I have windows 2000 pro on it already and it has been running great, anyways I insert the cd and presto! After about 30 secs the pc reboots….

So ok no problem I tried different things cables etc master/slave yadda and even tried a brand new cd rom drive and same thing

So then I try slave to the primary master and boot from cd… hangs forever so I reboot and it is trying to find boot record from floppy and hard drive….no go and the bios is set to boot from cd and the cd rom shows in the bios but it doesn`t go to it….

So next thing I try is a brand new hard drive and try to boot from cd rom…..nothing!!! ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

So on a wim I booted up to 2000 and inserted just an data cd and presto!! The freakin thing reboots again!!!! Dam it!! 20 freakin hours later!!!

So I inspect motherboard for swollen capacitors etc and nothing

This pc has been rock solid for almost 3 years and working great so there is no reason that I can think of

Any ideas??? Thanks Mike
Closed Thread