Computer randomly turns itself off

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholas_t

Solid State Member
Hi,

My computer will start up fine and then about 10 minutes later it will just randomly turn off. I then have to wait a few minutes before I can turn it back on. I just recently got a new hard drive, motherboard and CPU for my PC.

I have powerstrip installed and it says it didn't shut down properly and asks if I want to edit anything. I'm not very good with computers and had my computer done by my cousin.

It was working fine for 2 days but I downloaded a program to up my usb polling rate. It was fine for a day after that but when I tried to use my comp today it would just turn itself off. I've made my polling rate back to normal and deleted the program but my computer is still messed up.

I've got a 2.8 dual core intel processor, 512mb ram will be 1 gig soon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Check your CPU Temps. After it shuts down reboot into your BIOS and check the temps.

When starting your PC before windows starts it should give you an instruction like "Press F2 for setup" or "Press F10 for bios" For an exact description for your PC, look in the manual that came with your motherboard.

Once you're in the BIOS, look for a category like "System Monitor" "Hardware monitor" "temperature Monitor" and in there it should give you some temps. Most important is CPU temp. Anything above 60 degrees celcius is typically bad, though maximum temp varies from CPU to CPU

max temperature for a pentium D is around 63 C.

The temperature seems to be fine. If I try to turn my comp on right away after it turns itself off it wont turn on. I have to wait like a minute and then it will only turn on for about 10-20 seconds.

If I leave it off for like an hour then turn it on it will stay on for like 5-10mins.

if your pc just randomly shuts off it CAN be the hard drive. i had that happen to me once, and i tried BIOS nd stuff, but only fixed when i replaced the hard drive.

Yea, I'm thinking it might be the hard drive, its not like it just randomly turns itself off it can't even stay on for longer than 10-20mins. It makes a weird noise when it turns off like its cutting off something.

yep, DEFINATLY sounds like the hd there! for future reference, if its making weird noises when it turns off, please include that in your post coz it makes it easier to identify the problem

Would I be able to reformat my harddrive to fix this problem or will I have to get a new one?

you could try reformatting, but im guessing you might have to end up getting a new one. Reformat first tho, its always worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom