Computer randomly shuts off, power related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achase4u

Baseband Member
I built this PC several years ago. Its got an abit Nf7 mobo, one stick of ram thats aboue 256meg(I know, very small)

AMD 2500XP -

It will start up, sometimes just click off...

Usually you never get into windows...

I put all the hardware into a new case in case it was shorting on the other one, or the case buttons were faulty...

It has a cheap powmax power supply, so Im wondering if thats the problem?

Could it be the PSU? Or is it something mobo related?

Thanks...

Most likely the power supply, you have no choice but to try another one.

It could also be overhetaing if the heatsink is not properly making contact, so check to be sure thats on tight and that the fan is clean and works..

Thanks - I'll check the sink...

Yea Im thinking its the PSU...

Too bad I swapped the whole **** case over just to find out it wasnt a button. I think I'll leave it in this case :)

OK - I got a new PSU, and it doesnt shut off, but not the comp wont boot. I reset the CMOS, tried failsafe settings, and still this is what happens.

First screen, detecting IDE drives

It sits there for almost a minute, then shows the drives like it should

Then it sits there for another minute, switches to another screen that says "verifying DMI pool data"

it sits there for a long time, then says "boot disk failure insert system disc"

I cant get anything to work now. I dont know what happend. I tried three different IDE cables, made sure it was all connected right... just isnt happening. Did the hard drive go bust or is it the mobo?

It was working last night except for the power issue...

The new one is a decent antec, like Ive used alot in the past. The comp wont work at all with the old PSU. Its a very cheap one... had them fail before...

You need to do a bare bones test.

That is Take the motherboard outside of the case and place it on a non-conductive surface, have only 1 stick of Ram in as well as the video card and have no other device detected.

If it POST's then u can turn it off then try attaching the harddrive and then see what happens..
Make sure you recheck all connections and clean out all dust.

may have to try a new harddrive cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom